Thoughts & suggestions - the sequel!

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
jarold
Dive Computer: Mares Puck Pro

Thoughts & suggestions - the sequel!

Post by jarold »

Hi Nick,

Been spending far too much time loading all my dives/critters/photos into MacDive & I must say that fully loaded it is truly a thing of beauty (& I've said as much to 'Diver' magazine as a recommendation for them to look at logging apps in their occasional app features).

I know you've a list of things to do stretching into infinity but inevitably I have some more suggestions :-)

iOS App

Gear - offer more sort options:-
[*]Define order of sort or offer more combinations such as Type/Name, Type/Manufacturer/Name or Type/Name/Manufacturer or
[*]Show what it is sorted on in the kit list - this is fine for Manufacturer/Name or Name but Cost, Purchase Date & Type gives no indication that is the sort order/list]

Consistency of editing:-
[*]In Gear/Groups when you go into a group you see all the kit in circles & if you tap 'View Contents' you get the list with an option to edit & if you choose that you then can add/remove kit
[*]in Dives when you tap on the circles you immediately go into edit mode - I would have expected to be able to see detail for the kit & if I wanted to edit it then select Edit
[*]in Dives when you tap on the critter list you immediately go into edit mode - I would have expected to be able to see detail for the critter & if I wanted to edit it then select Edit

MacOS App

All Dives
[*]General - could you show 'C' after the degrees symbol for Warmest/Coldest, you show it elsewhere (such as Sites Avg Temp) - picky eh?

Inspector:-
[*]General: Make the display window dynamically sizeable
[*]Notes tab: space for critters isn't big enough, either make it dynamic or at least 2 lines
[*]Site/Map tabs: would it make sense to combine these?

Smart Dive Logs
[*]Application provides the ability to order these but the order is not preserved in the mobile app

Sites
[*]Map - maximum zoom does not allow me to see all of my dives, which range from Orkney to Sydney
[*]Grid display - would it be possible to have the photo a little bigger - seems like there's plenty of room

Divers
[*]The iOS App shows Total bottom time in days/hours/minutes whereas here it is hours & minutes, could this be consistent (I like days/hours/minutes)
[*]The value of my kit is showing in dollars, whereas in the app it is in pounds - is this a MacOS setting or MacDive?
[*]Could you add Longest Dive & Deepest Dive (to align with the iOS app) - though I guess these are in All Dives/Statistics

Still loving the both apps :-)
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Thoughts & suggestions - the sequel!

Post by nick »

jarold wrote:Hi Nick,

Been spending far too much time loading all my dives/critters/photos into MacDive & I must say that fully loaded it is truly a thing of beauty (& I've said as much to 'Diver' magazine as a recommendation for them to look at logging apps in their occasional app features).
I appreciate the kind words, and I'm glad you like it. It was 100% intentional that you load photos etc to really make it stand out.

I don't have time to answer every point explicitly right now - I am in the middle of a very large update to the macOS version - but I did take some time out to sort a couple of minor things.
[*]General - could you show 'C' after the degrees symbol for Warmest/Coldest, you show it elsewhere (such as Sites Avg Temp) - picky eh?
I've done this.
[*]Site/Map tabs: would it make sense to combine these?
Sure, but they take two full tabs already. It would never fit. Kind of combining your previous points which I haven't quoted, the entire Dive Inspector needs an overhaul.
[*]Application provides the ability to order these but the order is not preserved in the mobile app
Also intentional. The problem is that if you had smart logs and loaded up the iOS app, I suspect you'd wonder what kind of order they were even in. Perhaps as an opt-in setting it would be reasonable?
[*]Map - maximum zoom does not allow me to see all of my dives, which range from Orkney to Sydney
That's unfortunate. The problem here is that this is pretty much just an Apple Map view, with very little configuration changed. I don't see any immediate options to control this. I can look in to it, but it's not something that MacDive heavily customises.
[*]Grid display - would it be possible to have the photo a little bigger - seems like there's plenty of room
I've made it 30% larger. Looks a bit better. This whole thing needs a redesign I think.
[*]The iOS App shows Total bottom time in days/hours/minutes whereas here it is hours & minutes, could this be consistent (I like days/hours/minutes)
Preferences > General, check Show Durations in hours, rather than days
[*]The value of my kit is showing in dollars, whereas in the app it is in pounds - is this a MacOS setting or MacDive?
Where are you referring to? Usually this is a macOS setting, but there's possibly somewhere i've just left it as a $ sign.
[*]Could you add Longest Dive & Deepest Dive (to align with the iOS app) - though I guess these are in All Dives/Statistics
Sure, done for the next version.
jarold

Post by jarold »

Thanks Nick
Jean-Francois
Dive Computer: Perdix

Post by Jean-Francois »

nick wrote: Sure, but they take two full tabs already. It would never fit. Kind of combining your previous points which I haven't quoted, the entire Dive Inspector needs an overhaul.
I don't know much about programing but I would gladly help with the design of the dive inspector (if help is needed.)
jarold

Post by jarold »

To come back on my query on kit value showing in dollars, its in the Divers screen in the MacOS app. Elsewhere in the app it shows in pounds

Cheers

k
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Thanks. Was hardcoded to the dollar sign. This is fixed for the next update.