Sync, Sync Button & Sync Key Sequence for MacDive (macOS)

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
Bollar
Dive Computer: Shearwater Perdix AI

Sync, Sync Button & Sync Key Sequence for MacDive (macOS)

Post by Bollar »

I'm committed to MacDive now and I'm using it as my log. Maybe I have developed a bad habit, but my workflow is to have MacDive macOS and iOS open at the same time and use them to enter the data they're best at. One of the issues I had early on was not knowing exactly when either app would choose to synchronize (beyond the Cloud Sync interval set in preferences), so I have gotten into the habit of syncing when I open & close either app so I can ensure my most recent changes have been updated to the cloud.

A couple of things:

Can we have a key sequence for Synchronization? Also, can Synchronization have its own icon on the toolbar? Either / both of those would make my workflow a little easier. (I would also advocate for adding Synchronization to the Menu Bar (perhaps under File)). I think it's an important enough function to consider all of these

Second, for discussion, it seems to me that MacDive should try to sync when the user quits the macOS app. I didn't appreciate that it wasn't doing this until I watched the interaction between the two apps.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Sync, Sync Button & Sync Key Sequence for MacDive (macOS

Post by nick »

Bollar wrote: Can we have a key sequence for Synchronization? Also, can Synchronization have its own icon on the toolbar? Either / both of those would make my workflow a little easier. (I would also advocate for adding Synchronization to the Menu Bar (perhaps under File)). I think it's an important enough function to consider all of these
It's already in the quick toolbar menu, but I've added it to the File menu as well, with a shortcut (option + command + S).
Second, for discussion, it seems to me that MacDive should try to sync when the user quits the macOS app. I didn't appreciate that it wasn't doing this until I watched the interaction between the two apps.
The reason this is not done is because it can take some time. If you're trying to quit and it decides to hang for some period of time, it would be annoying. At this point you are telling the app to quit, so it quits. For example, think about if you are on a slow connection and you have a bunch of data and images to sync.
Bollar

Post by Bollar »

It's already in the quick toolbar menu, but I've added it to the File menu as well, with a shortcut (option + command + S).
Thank you! That will be helpful.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

I've actually just added this to the toolbar as well, to make it more convenient. As well as splitting out the common download functions to their own menu there.
Bollar

Post by Bollar »

Thanks!
v3rlon
Dive Computer: Data Trans

Post by v3rlon »

When I sync on either the Mac or iOS, then sync on the other device, changes are not reflected immediately. Sometimes I have to exit one app and relaunch to get everything synced up.

Is there something that forces an update other than the Sync button on MacDive and the more-sync on IOS?
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

No. Everything should update automatically. There's a bug with sites refreshing at the moment which will be fixed in the next release.