Jumped, now some requests

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
jarold
Dive Computer: Mares Puck Pro

Jumped, now some requests

Post by jarold »

Hi,

After an initial looksee earlier this year at MacDive & purchase of the Desktop & iOS version I have now committed to replacing the previous product I was using (DiveLogDT) with MacDive, there have been a few teething troubles (equipment service dates didn't transfer, nor did the associated notes or my buddy contact details) but I am working through them and overall I love the product, particularly the support for photos, the tagging/smart lists & the statistics graphs.

However there are a few things I miss & wonder if you might consider adding them

1) 'Trips' - this offers the ability to link a group of dives with a specific excursion, I know you can tag dives in MacDive to group them but 'Trips' in DiveLogDT also allowed specifying dates, divers, details & a photo & you could assign an overall rating
2) 'Shops' We all end up with our favourite dive equipment supplier so I found it really useful to be able to link who you purchased equipment from with an entry for the supplier with all the details & your personal comments about the supplier
3) Sites/Equipment/Dives pop-up - it would be nice to be able to resize the pop-up window used to view details of these. At the moment if there are a lot of details there's a lot of scrolling onvolved
4) Divers - 'List view' does not work
5) On the iOS app it would be nice to be able to choose to display the photo area for Tags/Smart Logs or not, or at least shrink it, at the moment you only just about get 2 on a screen - I love the idea though!

Other than that as I said, great work!

kevin
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Jumped, now some requests

Post by nick »

equipment service dates didn't transfer, nor did the associated notes or my buddy contact details
There are two ways to transfer data from Dive Log, either by syncing from the iOS app, or by dragging/dropping the database. It's unclear which you used, but generally the iOS sync is more complete. I'd guess you dragged/dropped? And if that's the case, could you please email the file to support. I can take a look at those bits of missing data.

Although, MacDive doesn't support buddy contact details. I could potentially add this in a future update, but the equipment stuff should. My guess is that's just an oversight.

1) 'Trips' - this offers the ability to link a group of dives with a specific excursion, I know you can tag dives in MacDive to group them but 'Trips' in DiveLogDT also allowed specifying dates, divers, details & a photo & you could assign an overall rating
I've been thinking about this but no firm plans. Tags covers most of it, though I appreciate there are some subtleties that having a first class "trip" would help with.
2) 'Shops' We all end up with our favourite dive equipment supplier so I found it really useful to be able to link who you purchased equipment from with an entry for the supplier with all the details & your personal comments about the supplier
I will add a note to look in to this at some point.

3) Sites/Equipment/Dives pop-up - it would be nice to be able to resize the pop-up window used to view details of these. At the moment if there are a lot of details there's a lot of scrolling onvolved
If you are referring to the inspectors.. well, yes, they're a bit ugly.

4) Divers - 'List view' does not work
Well, there isn't a list view. I'm sure it would work if there was.
5) On the iOS app it would be nice to be able to choose to display the photo area for Tags/Smart Logs or not, or at least shrink it, at the moment you only just about get 2 on a screen - I love the idea though!
I have something like this on my TODO list (a compact view).
jarold

Post by jarold »

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your very quick feedback, it is much appreciated; I'm not sure if this is the place for them but a few more observations (please don't take these as criticism, I love the apps I just want to help improve them)

MacDive

Gear
- in the icon view the gear is in reverse alphabetical name & there is no way to sort it, while in the list view you can sort it but regardless of how you sort it the icon view is always reverse alphabetical
- an option for 'Rented' under owner or somesuch would be useful
Sites
- you can sort sites in list view but I can't for the life of me work out what the order is in icon view, it isn't the same as list
Critters
- same thing, what order is the icon view in?
- not sure I understand the 'Species' box, for example every type of crab is a separate species so what to put in the name?
Divers
- the list view I was referring to is when in the Divers category both the icons & list view options are available but they don't do anything
Countries
- how do I add a flag? I have dives in the Isle of Man but no flag is displayed

iOS App
Dives
- although I can see a camera icon against a number of dives I don't see any easy way to get to the photos; tapping on the camera icon just takes me to the dive in question, perhaps an icon across the top alongside Details/Location/Equipment/Notes would help?
- as previously mentioned a list option like in Sites would be cool
- in the display of gear used on the dive it would be good if the actual gear used was at the top, rather than mixed in with everything else or for there to be a 'switch' to view used/all gear
- in the Notes section I can tap on a Buddy to see a list of all buddies, this would be nice to see in MacDive
Gear
- having to scroll through a list of largish photos is a pain - perhaps a list option could be added (like you have in Sites - which I've only just found :-)
Sites
- My map centres on New Delhi, this isn't very convenient when most of my dives are in the UK. Could there be a default centre location?
Critters
- having to scroll through a list of largish photos is a pain - perhaps a list option could be added (like you have in Sites)
Certifications
- when you display the details for a certification it is set to be 'elastic' so to see the details past the 'Attained' date you have to slide up & hold the screen, is there a need for this to be elastic?
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

- in the icon view the gear is in reverse alphabetical name & there is no way to sort it, while in the list view you can sort it but regardless of how you sort it the icon view is always reverse alphabetical
- an option for 'Rented' under owner or somesuch would be useful
There are sorting options at the bottom of the screen - name, manufacturer, ascending/descending, etc.
Sites
- you can sort sites in list view but I can't for the life of me work out what the order is in icon view, it isn't the same as list
Same deal, there are sorting options at the bottom and the current one is highlighted. From memory it defaults to Name, or Country/Name.
Critters
- same thing, what order is the icon view in?
Species or name, I can't remember. Sorting options are at the bottom.
- not sure I understand the 'Species' box, for example every type of crab is a separate species so what to put in the name?
Well the idea is that Quadrella maculosa is commonly known as a Black Coral Crab. Species, Name.
Divers
- the list view I was referring to is when in the Divers category both the icons & list view options are available but they don't do anything
I will double check after work. There's no list view, so it should be disabled.

Countries
- how do I add a flag? I have dives in the Isle of Man but no flag is displayed
You don't. I prefer that you don't have to think about it, and that they're all consistent and look good. I will check if this is missing or just there in a funny spelling. What's the exact spelling you're using - "Isle of Man" ?
- although I can see a camera icon against a number of dives I don't see any easy way to get to the photos; tapping on the camera icon just takes me to the dive in question, perhaps an icon across the top alongside Details/Location/Equipment/Notes would help?
There's no easy way from the dives list. There is indeed an icon along the top of the profile, although, there is a layout bug currently where that is not displaying on certain devices. This is fixed in TestFlight and will be in the next update.
- as previously mentioned a list option like in Sites would be cool
I added a compact mode to Tags/Smart Logs, Gear, and Critters last night for you. It's in TestFlight now and will be in the next version.
- in the display of gear used on the dive it would be good if the actual gear used was at the top, rather than mixed in with everything else or for there to be a 'switch' to view used/all gear
The idea was that the dive itself showed you what was used, the list is more to edit it.
- My map centres on New Delhi, this isn't very convenient when most of my dives are in the UK. Could there be a default centre location?
It tries to fit all sites, it doesn't center in a specific location.
- having to scroll through a list of largish photos is a pain - perhaps a list option could be added (like you have in Sites)
As above, I added this last night for you. It's in TestFlight being tested for the next version.
- when you display the details for a certification it is set to be 'elastic' so to see the details past the 'Attained' date you have to slide up & hold the screen, is there a need for this to be elastic?
This is a bug that I fixed last night. It is being tested in TestFlight and will be in the next version.

Thanks.
jarold

Post by jarold »

Thanks Nick for all your feedback, sorry I missed those sorting options - doh!

Regarding the flag for Isle of Man my exact spelling is indeed Isle of Man

k
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

The flag was indeed missing (no typos or anything) - I’ve added it to both desktop and iOS for their next releases.
jarold

Post by jarold »

BTW if testflight enrollment is still available I'm happy to be a tester

kev