New supply type choice in the gas tab

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
Jean-Francois
Dive Computer: Perdix

New supply type choice in the gas tab

Post by Jean-Francois »

Would it be possible to add another option in the drop down menu "supply type" under the gas tab ?

It's about shared/pooled/mutualized gas. Maybe some native english speaking diver could help me find the right word.

It goes like this : in CCR deep dives, you might not carry all the gas needed yourself but you might divide all you need between the divers in the team.
Example : if 2 divers go to do an 80m dives, both would carry 1 tank of bottom gas each (18/35) and 1 diver would take the travel/mid gas (Nx50) and the other the deco gas (Nx 80). Thus each diver would have 2 tanks instead of carrying 3 tanks. Most agencies teach this and the gas were used as an example only not actual good gases to use.

We call it mutualisation in french. According to the dictionary it translate in either sharing, pooling or mutualization. But I don't know the right word in english.

What's the point of having another option in the menu ? For me it would be to know what I carried with me (Bail out option) and what was taken by the team (shared option).

Thanks
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: New supply type choice in the gas tab

Post by nick »

To me, this sounds like something that should be separate field/checkbox. Rather than abusing the supply type for it?
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

Well I see your point.

The way I use the gas tab is this : I look at what was brought under water with/by me and the team.

Also I thought that adding an option to the drop down menu would not but a great hassle programming wise. And we already have the surface supplied option and the proposed shared/pooled/mutualised option is right along the same idea.

I don't want to use the gear tab for this, since what's most important is the gas mix.

Again no biggie, just a thought for an improvement.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

It is indeed simple programming wise (for a change). It just seems a bit of a hack. So I could probably add it in there for now, provided you/we can come up with a good name for it.
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

I've asked my instructor about the terminology and here is the paragraph from the IANTD English course :

"Each team must carry adequate bailout gas or bailout rebreather to get 1.5 divers to the surface."
So he's suggesting either "team bailout" or "bailout shared"

I think that Team Bailout is the better solution. It does fit the purpose very well because it's exactly what is needed to differentiate what is brought as a team and what is carried individually. More so that the mixes carried will be different.