GPS Integration for dive sites.

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
GKirkaldie
Dive Computer: Suunto D9, Reefnet

GPS Integration for dive sites.

Post by GKirkaldie »

It would be nice if there was some sort of GPS integration to log the dive sites with.

I always take my Garmin Etrex Vista HCX out on the boat with me so I can see where we're going, how fast, how long until we're back to base, etc...

It stores a track log, if you could sync the computers dive time up to the GPS track log to record the exact location of the dive that would be an amazing feature.

I use HoudahGeo to do the same thing for geotagging my photos.

It should be an easy addition.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: GPS Integration for dive sites.

Post by nick »

Send me a sample log file with data, and your MacDive.sqlite file. I'll take a look when I have some spare time.
GKirkaldie
Dive Computer: Suunto D9, Reefnet

Post by GKirkaldie »

I don't have the GPS handy right now to get any data for you, but it's basically a KML File; time, lat, long, altitude. Straight from the GPS however it's in NMEA 0183 format.

There are however, many different units out there. Houdah has a faq for HoudahGeo here, http://www.houdah.com/houdahGeo/faq.htm ... e_GPS_devi

Not a bad faq to read actually.

Crap, now I want to send them a request to add a feature so I can get them to access the dive computer and use it's depth instead of the GPS's altitude for the phototagging... where does it end?
Ren127
Dive Computer: Vyper2

Post by Ren127 »

You can type the GPS coordinates in the map field and it will pull up the exact location on the map- you have to do it manually but you can at least get the dive site markers in the right place on the map.

Lauren
l00d

Post by l00d »

GKirkaldie wrote:I don't have the GPS handy right now to get any data for you, but it's basically a KML File; time, lat, long, altitude. Straight from the GPS however it's in NMEA 0183 format.

There are however, many different units out there. Houdah has a faq for HoudahGeo here, http://www.houdah.com/houdahGeo/faq.htm ... e_GPS_devi

Not a bad faq to read actually.

Crap, now I want to send them a request to add a feature so I can get them to access the dive computer and use it's depth instead of the GPS's altitude for the phototagging... where does it end?
Sorry to bump an old thread.. I've not got any non-certification dives under my belt (or sample a dive log) to test with. I also religiously use HoudahGeo to geotag my photos, and once I start taking photos underwater I'm hoping to continue doing that the best I can. I'm expecting I'd use my GPS/HoudahGeo to set a global lat/long of the dive site across all the photos, and then the dive computer could then sync in depth data into the elevation field.

Looking at the screenshots on the website, it looks as though it will show a photo's approximate time & depth on the profile. Does it actually export this to the EXIF data?
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

It is not currently exported. It's on my list of things to do, though.
DLM
Dive Computer: Oceanic VT Pro

Post by DLM »

I use a GPS to mark dive sites with way-points, so another feature suggestion is:

Drag-and-drop of a GPX format file into MacDive. Load the way-point names (/gpx/wpt/name) and compare to the dive site names. If a match is found, the dive site location is set to the way-point coordinates (/gpx/wpt/@lat and /gpx/wp/@lon).

To avoid replacing manual entries or updating the wrong site, updates could only be made when: the sites existing location is zero and; there is one site with the matching name.

I was able to "import" my way-points by performing a database update, but drag and drop of a GPX file would make it easier. :)
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Do you have an example GPX file, and your MacDive database? I could definitely take a look at doing this. If anyone else is reading, would this be useful?

I try and avoid adding too many features that only one person will use (no offense!), so if there are a few people who would like it then I'd be happy to look at putting something in.
aneel
Dive Computer: Suunto D4

Post by aneel »

I realize that this is an ancient thread, but did this feature ever get integrated? I have a bunch of GPS tracks from a recent trip, and am hunting through them in Garmin Basecamp to figure out where I was at the start of each dive (based on the times that MacDive grabbed from my dive computer), copying the coordinates from that time in the track, and pasting that into the map view in MacDive. It's not a horrible workflow, but it would be nice if the GPX file with the tracks could just be imported into MacDive.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

It didn't, no.

But the iOS app has a built-in GPS tracker that integrates nicely, suggesting existing sites that are close or allowing you to quickly add new ones. There's a bunch of info in the user guide about that:

http://mac-dive.com/help/ios_01_07_track.php