Bluetooth support for Eon Steel

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
N1Diver
Dive Computer: Perdix

Bluetooth support for Eon Steel

Post by N1Diver »

With the new firmware for the Eon Steel, would be great to get the Bluetooth supported in MacDive
eagle81
Dive Computer: Suunto Eon Steel

Re: Bluetooth support for Eon Steel

Post by eagle81 »

I would also love to see it. Specially for the iPhone app.
espenmoe
Dive Computer: Suunto Eon Steel

Post by espenmoe »

Totally agree on support for reading from Steel in the iphone app!
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Support is now available for the iOS version in TestFlight.

http://www.mac-dive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2251

I will probably not bother with macOS support right now as it's slower than USB.
N1Diver

Post by N1Diver »

Nick, fantastic work. Thank you. Tried and tested today.

Only issue that is probably out of your control, the EON steel went to sleep before my download was complete. Had to keep pressing buttons on the computer to keep it awake.

Now I have dives synced via bluetooth, if I download from EON to Mac, will it overwrite the information entered into MacDive on my iPhone ?
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

N1Diver wrote:Only issue that is probably out of your control, the EON steel went to sleep before my download was complete. Had to keep pressing buttons on the computer to keep it awake.
No, this is not an issue. The EON remains downloading if the screen goes off. In fact, you can connect and download without even turning the screen on, provided it isn't in deep-sleep mode.
Now I have dives synced via bluetooth, if I download from EON to Mac, will it overwrite the information entered into MacDive on my iPhone ?
This depends on your import preferences. Please take a read of the user guide which explains the various modes and how they function:

http://mac-dive.com/help/mac_03_01_downloading.php
N1Diver

Post by N1Diver »

Thanks Nick.

Additional question.

Now I have imported via Bluetooth, I have an extra Gear item for the Eon in my Gear list.

So my dives imported via the Mac are on a separate gear item to the dives imported via Bluetooth.

Can you merge or link the 2 entries ?
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Not automatically, no, but you could tidy it up on the desktop yourself.

I don't see two, I see just the one as expected. What is different about them - the name, or the serial? Did the original one exist in iOS before you downloaded (ie had it been synced over)?

Thanks
N1Diver

Post by N1Diver »

Hi Nick, I have had a gear item for my EON for some time, and have over 200 dives synced to my Mac.

Since the bluetooth sync, I have a new gear item for the EON with the same serial number, but only the dives listed from the Bluetooth sync.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 11.17.51.png
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Oh right, I see. MacDive on iOS looks for a computer item with the same model name. Since you have called the desktop one "Computer - Eon Steel", it isn't considered a match, therefore a new item is created. The desktop only looks for serial/manufacturer, which is why it works there.

Probably the logic should be the same between them (whichever way that is). But I'd also argue on the flip side calling it "Computer - X" is weird. It already has a first-class "type" attribute that will be set to Computer, so.. that seems redundant.

I have actually run in to people with computers from the same manufacturer that have the same serial, but different models. So just removing the name check isn't necessarily the best approach. Any other solutions I can think of right now require more significant changes, and are far too overkill for what I suspect is a fairly isolated use-case.

For now, this will remain an issue for you if you want to log the item with that name.

(I'm not saying I won't change this, just that I need to consider it.. because I think really the desktop is wrong here).