Add raw data manually (profile)

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
othorg
Dive Computer: Suunto D5

Add raw data manually (profile)

Post by othorg »

Hi,
I have been playing a lot with your nice software and i already purchased it. I want to transfer my old paper log book(s) to MacDive. So far so good, but i have a lot of old dives with a profile printout. It is possible for me to digitize these profile in value pairs and i can redraw these dive profiles with time/depth value pairs in excel.
Is there a chance to transfer this to the raw data tab in MacDive? I can change existing values, but i can't add a new data set.
I tried to find the raw data in the sql-light db. But it seems, that the raw data isn't stored as plain data in the dive table...

Everything else works really fine for me... But i want to save my profiles from more than 100 old dives...

Thanks in advance

Oliver
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Add raw data manually (profile)

Post by nick »

There's no way to manually input raw profile data, sorry. The best thing to do would be to convert your data to MacDive's XML format, and import that way. You can then add whatever profile data you want.

You can export an existing dive to XML as a template and then change the bits you need - the date, the profile samples, etc. Make sure you set a unique identifier for each dive as well.

Can you work with that?
othorg

Post by othorg »

Hi Nick,

i will try - sure.
I wrote a little python script to convert the necessary data for another program (Windows) with sqlite backend. My Idea was to use this script for MacDive. Maybe i can adjust the output to XML.
But i think, it could be a cool improvement to provide a "add" Button in the raw data tab... what do you think?

I know this is not really a welcomed way... But can you say a bit about the data structure of the raw data in the database? Is this a binary blob? Can you give some advices around the binary blob?

Thanks Nick!
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Hi there,

Editing the raw database is not supported, sorry. The raw sample format is not a binary blob, and in fact there are large changes to the database structure coming in the next release (in particular how the samples are stored). So this has actually changed.

I can see how this would be a useful feature, however it would probably only be used in a handful of cases. I will add it to the list of features and I'll take a look once the next major release is complete, as it is likely not too much work to add.
othorg

Post by othorg »

Happy new year to all!

Thanks for the quick respond, nick!