Storing Scans of Physical Dive Logs?

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
m00dawg
Dive Computer: Oceanic Veo 1.0

Storing Scans of Physical Dive Logs?

Post by m00dawg »

I still keep a physical logbook, in part so I can write things down during my dives and also because my dive computer (a Veo 1.0) doesn't support offloading to a computer. I think even if I had that, I'll probably always keep a physical log just to have. I think I inquired about some better export options from Mac Dive to a paper log in a previous request, but going the other way would be nice too.

I know Mac-Dive supports image files, and that works for my purpose bit it's a bit of a kludge since it goes in the photos section, where I might want to put in actual photos from the dive instead. So what about a section to toss in PDFs, which could be for paper log scans as well as any other paperwork that might be relevant for a dive?
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Storing Scans of Physical Dive Logs?

Post by nick »

It seems like it would also be a kludge to add another section of images that aren't strictly "photos". The Photos (well, images) section was intended for photos, maps, whatever you liked. It's not strictly just for photos. Is there any actual downside to having them in there?

Another option would be to have the ability to flag a photo as "not a photo". But then I'm not sure what that would really achieve, other than complicating something that could remain quite simple. I don't even know what flagging it would do functionally in the app.

I'm open to suggestions but I don't really see the benefit of adding another tab or area for certain kinds of images.

I'll have to refresh my memory on alternate export options. There are already quite a few, and multiple methods of printing logs. More customisable printouts are on my todo list, along with some other features. The latest update has been brutal, but is very near complete. Once that's out of the way.. we'll see what people feel like requesting.
m00dawg
Dive Computer: Oceanic Veo 1.0

Post by m00dawg »

I was thinking another section just to keep the pretty pictures from a dive and the log organized separately so its not jumbled together. The bigger issue is being able to import a PDF instead of just images. Most of my paper log pages have a front and back, so keeping both sides contained in one PDF makes it easier to organize (only one file over two) and keeps the original scanned dimensions should I need to ever print them out again.

Another tab was more a thought for organization-sake. What I really like about Mac Dive over other solutions I have tried (including ones on Linux as I've largely migrated to a Linux desktop now - Mac Dive is one of the important reasons I keep a Mac around actually), is that it is thorough and well-organized. The equipment section in particular. So having a section for paper log backups seemed like a natural extension to the idea. Or maybe a Photos tab (so you can do fancy things with CoverFlow and such) and a general Files tab?

Just a thought there. Really just having PDF support by itself would be enough for me to be pretty happy as it keeps a sort of master copy of my paper logs along with the digital logs in one place. My plan right now is to keep my paper logs as PDFs I organize manually but then convert those into PNGs to import into Mac Dive. Not ideal, but it does work for today.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

PDFs are technically supported. The fact they don't work right now is an oversight.

What happened is that I found a pretty strange bug. A user reported an issue during an upgrade between MacDive versions. This version was one where it migrated all images to a different folder, which was done in the aid of a new feature coming out shortly.

Anyway, they had a crash part way through. Turns out that they had somehow drag/dropped their core MacDive data file as an image on to a dive. Naturally MacDive tried to move it as part of the migration, which as you can imagine caused a few issues. So I disabled anything other than standard image types - but apparently that has disabled PDFs.

I'll get that added back after work tonight, it's a super quick fix, and it should definitely be supported. Drop me an email and I can send you a beta version to try out if you like.
Conyous
Dive Computer: Vyper Air

Post by Conyous »

nick wrote:PDFs are technically supported. The fact they don't work right now is an oversight.

What happened is that I found a pretty strange bug. A user reported an issue during an upgrade between MacDive versions. This version was one where it migrated all images to a different folder, which was done in the aid of a new feature coming out shortly.

Anyway, they had a crash part way through. Turns out that they had somehow drag/dropped their core MacDive data file as an image on to a dive. Naturally MacDive tried to move it as part of the migration, which as you can imagine caused a few issues. So I disabled anything other than standard image types - but apparently that has disabled PDFs.

I'll get that added back after work tonight, it's a super quick fix, and it should definitely be supported. Drop me an email and I can send you a beta version to try out if you like.
One great feature would be to store a pdf of your health certificate...