Photos integration?

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
theurich
Dive Computer: Mares Matrix

Photos integration?

Post by theurich »

Hi

I really like that I can load in my pictures for each dive but I'm now using Photos for my pictures and I do not want to have a separate folders for just my dive photos due to the space that it takes up on my hard drive.

Is there a way that you can get MacDive to link with Photos to get the pictures?

Cheers
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Photos integration?

Post by nick »

Not currently. Unless you want to get funky and do some aliasing/symlinking yourself.

In the old days, it did support "referencing" files from Aperture and iPhoto. A while back I removed this and changed it to always store copies of the photos. This was in preparation for syncing to the cloud, to streamline how the sync of photos would work.

That release needs to come first, as it's been in development for some time now and is super close to finally being done. Which is to say it's not a good time to reconsider how images are stored, as it will cause a sizeable delay.

Personally, I use Aperture. But I really don't want my masters included in MacDive, they're massive (35MB?). I export proxies that are significantly smaller (a couple hundred KB) and just add those. Hard drive space is so cheap these days that I've never really found it a problem, although it's an extra step to do the export.

Photos I've only played with briefly so I haven't looked at integration on that end. I'll do so once this next release is complete, and I'll see about trying to link to your images there. Since, obviously, they would be synced anyway.
simont

Re: Photos integration?

Post by simont »

I'm reopening this old post.
Now that there is an iPhone version and an iPad one coming in some time, it would be great to reference the photos from the iCloud Photo library instead of having to copy them into MacDive. This would avoid image replication saving a lot of disk space. Is it on the to-do-list?
Thanks.
Simone