iCloud integration

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
europaeer
Dive Computer: Shearwater

Re: iCloud integration

Post by europaeer »

There are different opinions on that as well: I would prefer a Dropbox syncing which I already use now via detours. iCloud is too restricted and inflexible.
bubffm
Dive Computer: Suunto D4i

Post by bubffm »

Ken wrote:bubffm, why would you prefer a MAS version over the current way? The MAS is really inflexible for developers, and sometimes limits functionality. 1Password has had this problem.
Why is it inflexible? Everyone offers their App over there. I use iPassword (MAS-version). Not sure what problems thy might have had at a certain point in time. Other then that any new App-Store version may arrive a few days later.

The advantage is that you get the latest version pushed and installed automatically. For non-certified developers you even have to use "tricks" to get it installed at all... You also dont have to chase all those license codes as everything is linked to your Apple ID. And if I dont like an App, I just press a refund button and get my money back :)

Apart form that I think a developer just reaches a much wider audience offering it in the store. For example I stumbled across MacDive only by accident while I would have found it immediately in the App Store
europaeer
Dive Computer: Shearwater

Post by europaeer »

I didn't even mention the App-Store, I focused the iCloud syncronisation only. :roll:

Even 1Password is synced via Dropbox in my system as MacDive also is. From my point of view iCloud doesn't have any advantages despite when using Keynote or Pages regularly. Nick already states that his plans do not an iCloud sync. I have been using Macs for 15 years, but I am not convinced of iCloud.
Last edited by europaeer on Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken
Dive Computer: Shearwater Perdix AI

Post by Ken »

bubffm wrote: Why is it inflexible? Everyone offers their App over there. I use iPassword (MAS-version). Not sure what problems thy might have had at a certain point in time. Other then that any new App-Store version may arrive a few days later.

The advantage is that you get the latest version pushed and installed automatically. For non-certified developers you even have to use "tricks" to get it installed at all... You also dont have to chase all those license codes as everything is linked to your Apple ID. And if I dont like an App, I just press a refund button and get my money back :)
They had to remove functionality because of the MAS. And not everyone offers their apps over there. Some developers have pulled them because of the limitations.

And getting the latest version pushed to you is only if you enable that. I don't like things being installed automatically on my system. So for me, I much prefer the Sparkle way; open MacDive and it tells you there's an update, what it is, and let it update.

That refund button is only for some countries in Europe. I don't believe any other region of the world has that, and refunds are a pain in the ass to get. I always opt for the non-MAS version. Quicker updates, more flexible upgrade pricing, and the developer makes more money.
Apart form that I think a developer just reaches a much wider audience offering it in the store. For example I stumbled across MacDive only by accident while I would have found it immediately in the App Store
I do agree with that. The developer potentially reaches a wider audience, but at a cost. If you limit yourself to the MAS, you're missing out on some great software. Keyboard Maestro, one of the utilities I rely on most, could never be in the MAS.