Why does 'Next Dive' take you to previous dive & vice versa

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
jaz9090
Dive Computer: Suunto Vyper Air

Why does 'Next Dive' take you to previous dive & vice versa

Post by jaz9090 »

What it says in the title really, I don't know if my settings are wrong, but they are the default settings. I need to click next dive to do to an earlier dive and previous dive for a later dive, a bit strange really.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Why does 'Next Dive' take you to previous dive & vice ve

Post by nick »

It is the next or previous dive in the table, based on how you have it sorted.

To explain this simply, open the Dive Inspector and watch the table while you click next/previous.
ray2day
Dive Computer: Suunto Zoop

Post by ray2day »

I have sorted the dives from last (top) to first (bottom) also and I can understand the 'problem' jaz9090 has;
if I open the last dive, there's only one option to click and that is "Next Dive" while infact it is a previous dive.

I understand the problem can be solved 'sorting' the dives the other way / different by ascending,
but I would prefer if the programm itself could be able to detect this.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

What would it detect? If I understand correctly, you are saying that if you have the dives sorted by Max Depth, but ascending, it should reverse what the buttons do? This is more confusing I think..

It works the same way as iTunes (last I checked). It's not "next dive by date", it's "next dive in the list, however it is sorted".
GKirkaldie
Dive Computer: Suunto D9, Reefnet

Post by GKirkaldie »

Could redo it to say Older or Newer dive, then it would have to be rewritten to specifically go to the next dive entry chronologically as opposed to how it's ordered in the list.

I know what they are saying, I think it myself everytime I hit next dive and think previous dive. I prefer newer dives at top.
henrik
Dive Computer: Petrel + Predator

Post by henrik »

I suggested just using up and down arrows in an earlier post. The next/prev buttons are still confusing me.
Benthic
Dive Computer: Xeo

Post by Benthic »

henrik wrote:I suggested just using up and down arrows in an earlier post. The next/prev buttons are still confusing me.
Yes!! Henrik, that's brilliant. Simple, cuts through the confusion. Nick, could I second that suggestion?

As it happens, you can achieve that right now with Keyboard Shortcuts.

Go to System Preferences (I'm using Yosemite), Keyboard, Shortcuts. Select "App Shortcuts" then add another shortcut with the + button.

In the "Application" drop-down list, find MacDive. In the "Menu Title", type (precisely) "Select Next Dive" then in the "Keyboard Shortcut" box type the down arrow. Click "Add".

Then create a second entry in the same way, titled "Select Previous Dive" and with the up arrow as a shortcut. Done!

Cheers,
Benthic
henrik

Post by henrik »

Benthic wrote: Go to System Preferences (I'm using Yosemite), Keyboard, Shortcuts. Select "App Shortcuts" then add another shortcut with the + button.

In the "Application" drop-down list, find MacDive. In the "Menu Title", type (precisely) "Select Next Dive" then in the "Keyboard Shortcut" box type the down arrow. Click "Add".

Then create a second entry in the same way, titled "Select Previous Dive" and with the up arrow as a shortcut. Done!
Great workaround, thanks.
henrik

Post by henrik »

Fixed in 2.7.0 :)