Printed Dive logs and the Total Time Underwater display

Suggestions? Comments? Features you'd like to see?
gjc999
Dive Computer: Pro 2.1

Printed Dive logs and the Total Time Underwater display

Post by gjc999 »

At the bottom of every print-out page, there is a bit of text that reports what looks like the total time under water for the diver who's dive is on the page. I am wondering if it is possible to have this text increment the time based on the total time under water up to that point in the log, rather than report the same total value on every log page that is printed. For example, dive log page 1 should be something like "50 minutes under water", while page 100 should be something that reflects all the dives from 1 to 100. As it is, it makes the time under water string look strange when 1/2 way through a log book it's the same time as at the end. Of course, printing a single page for the last dive in the log is correct, but tying to print a whole book makes this value less useful.
kevincasey
Dive Computer: Atomic Cobalt

Re: Printed Dive logs and the Total Time Underwater display

Post by kevincasey »

I'd like to vote for this as well. I'm good at keeping my log up-to-date in MacDive, but haven't printed it out once. In fact, the only reason I've started playing with the printing is because I'm going to be going on vacation, and would like to be able to take a "complete" log with me. If I only print it out a few times a year, the total time underwater is going to look weird.

I guess one consideration would be people whose MacDive log is incomplete, of which there are two types: 1) they started using MacDive and have kept it up to date; 2) they use MacDive irregularly and don't bother to fill in the holes.

Of the two types of users, I think type 2 can be discounted with respect to this issue. If they don't keep MacDive up to date, they probably aren't going to care that much about the little counter in the bottom of the print outs.

With respect to type 1, you will have some people who have entered their entire diving history into the software, and others who have not. To accommodate those who have not, perhaps there could be a "Time Underwater Correction Factor".

For example, suppose I have 100 dives (each averaging 60 minutes) before I begin to use MacDive. When I begin using MacDive at dive 101, it's smart enough to continue number from there (i.e. 101, 102, 103, etc.). If there's a preference where I define that I've already got 6000 minutes (or 100 hours or 4 days and 4 hours, etc.), the printed counter would simply account for that correction factor.
Kevin Casey
Regulator Technician
Aqua Diving Academy
Portland, Maine, USA
gjc999

Post by gjc999 »

Nosing around I see that work is going on on the follow on to 2.1.1. Most of it seems tech related and therefore currently beyond my ability to contribute. I thought I'd bump this request though and see if you had any more bandwidth to get this change in if you deem it worthy. Thanks for the effort!
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

I have done this. When printing or exporting a PDF, the bottom time will be a running total, per diver. I've also added "previous dive time" to the Diver profile, and this is taken in to account when printing (this is specified in dd:hh:mm).

Will be available in the next update.
gjc999

Post by gjc999 »

Fantastic! MacDive continues to impress. Thanks for the effort!
joelaposta
Dive Computer: Mares Icon HD

Post by joelaposta »

nick wrote:I have done this. When printing or exporting a PDF, the bottom time will be a running total, per diver. I've also added "previous dive time" to the Diver profile, and this is taken in to account when printing (this is specified in dd:hh:mm).

Will be available in the next update.
I just checked this in the most current beta, and it appears to not be working. It gives the total time for that diver for every log page. (I have separate smartdive logs, but it also just shows the total from all my dives)
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

It's not in the beta. As I said, it will be available in the next release.
joelaposta
Dive Computer: Mares Icon HD

Post by joelaposta »

nick wrote:It's not in the beta. As I said, it will be available in the next release.
Ahhh my mistake, awesome!