OS X 10.7 Lion and beyond..

General MacDive discussion, updates, etc.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: OS X 10.7 Lion and beyond..

Post by nick »

Thanks for the report.

I had a quick look this morning seeing as I just upgraded to 10.7.3, and my driver still seems to be in place. Didn't have time to test it - we've just moved and my dive comp/cables are in a box somewhere. Will find it tonight and check if it still works.

Let's hope this is not the typical case, otherwise that would be very frustrating.
gcool
Dive Computer: D9

Post by gcool »

Just for info...

- OS X Lion 10.7.3
- macdive 2.1.3
- SUUNTO D9
- USB serial driver from http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

All dive import clean.

Gilles
Centurion
Dive Computer: Helo2 & D9TX

Post by Centurion »

Bought a Suunto Helio2 today and can confirm the following combination works straight out of the box:
  • * Suunto Helio2
    * OSX Lion 10.7.4
    * Data cable from Custom Ideas and driver from here (version 2.9, haven't tested with the new 3.0 driver)
    * Macdive 2.1.5
UPDATE 11-Jul-2012 - updated the driver to 3.0 and both computers still work perfectly with "Custom Ideas" cable. The genuine Suunto cable that came with the Helio2, whilst recognized by Lion when I plug it in, doesn't create a character/serial device in "/dev" so MacDive can't use it. Might need to hunt down a driver - anyone else had any luck with the genuine Suunto cables?

Very pleased :) Although I'll still dive with the Cobra3 for backup, all primary computer and data-logging will be done on the Helio2.
Last edited by Centurion on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
anotherWeaseL
Dive Computer: Suunto Stinger

Post by anotherWeaseL »

Hi all,

I've got a Suunto Stinger.

I've been using MacDive for quite some time and never had problems with my original Suunto (serial)cable connected to a prolific-driven USB adaptor. Now I'm prepping my gear for my vacation and can't make a connection anymore. I have the "can't read the header"-issue that's been extensively discussed. Probably that's got something to do with Lion. Since the upgrade I haven't used MacDive.
I've made the right settings on the Stinger as well as a recognized driver. Alternatively, I've tried the same setup on my bootcamp partition with XP, where everything worked fine. So I guess it's a compatibility problem with lion and the driver. Now on the first page of this thread a link has been posted to a site with a solution for this issue. Unfortunately, I don't exactly know what to make of that (http://xbsd.nl/2011/07/pl2303-serial-us ... -lion.html). Would these commands be executed in the terminal? How do I get to my downloads path with the "cd"-command (terminal keeps telling me "there's no such file or directory).
Could anyone give a detailed step-by-step guide for dummies?

Thanks in advance
Sascha
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

I already replied to your email, but for anyone else, if you read the comments there is a graphical installer for that driver and I believe it solved the problem. Actually I think that link is even mentioned earlier in this thread.
SanFranDiver
Dive Computer: ProPlus2.1

Re: OS X 10.7.4 Lion and ProPlus2.1

Post by SanFranDiver »

I was downloading dives successfully a few weeks ago. Now I get the error message "Failed connecting to dive computer on serial port '/dev/tty.usbserial-20030001' (Error Code: -5)

Can't figure out what to do. HELP

MacBookAir 13" Mid-2011
OSX 10.7.4
Oceanic ProPlus2.1
MacDive 2.1.5

Even removed and reinstalled the FTDI USB Serial Drivers (64Bit)
2002 Design,Inc. USB:
Product ID: 0xf460
Vendor ID: 0x0403 (Future Technology Devices International Limited)
Version: 4.00
Serial Number: 20030001
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: 2002 Design,Inc
Location ID: 0xfd120000 / 4
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 44
msalsmans
Dive Computer: Suunto Cobra3

Post by msalsmans »

OSX 10.8
Suunto Cobra3
MacDive 2.1.5

Import works fine, however I am getting unexpected crashes since upgrade to Mountain Lion. Crashes seem random as they happened on different actions each time. Compatibility issue between MacDive and Mountain Lion?

Apart from that very happy with the program! Keep up the good work
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Please email me with the crash report and a copy of your MacDive.sqlite file - I've had no reports of issues yet.
Centurion
Dive Computer: Helo2 & D9TX

Post by Centurion »

Finally got around to updating my log book (Macdive) after upgrading to Mountain Lion and can confirm the following woks for me:
  • * Suunto Helio2 and Cobra3
    * Macbook Pro - Mid 2010 (specifically: MacBookPro7,1)
    * OSX Lion 10.8
    * Data cable from Custom Ideas and driver from here (version 3.0)
    * Macdive 2.1.5
The Lion -> Mountain Lion was an inline upgrade and I didn't even need to reinstall the USB data cable driver. I even do some funky Dropbox sync (symbolicly link the sqlite DB to a file in Dropbox) and even my iMac (recent 27" i5 unit) works without any problems too.

FWIW, I've had a number of application crashes since moving to 10.8 and they were all magically solved when I turned off automatic proxy discovery and/or automatic proxy configuration (System Settings -> Network -> click on your connection -> Advanced -> Proxies). Seems this is a common problem involving "CoreSchedulingSet" or "EmptyCoreSchedulingSet" C++ objects. Not sure if the Macdive crashes are a similar manifestation of this issue (I haven't had it crash - but I also don't have auto-proxy-anything turned on), but worth mentioning.
lbmigritor
Dive Computer: OSTC 2n

Post by lbmigritor »

Nick,

i just upgraded to snow lion, macdive works fine, but i can't locate the macdive data in the finder no more.
do you have the path for me?