Possible for Application Support files to live elsewhere?

Problems ? Get help here!
Paco II
Dive Computer: Suunto D9

Possible for Application Support files to live elsewhere?

Post by Paco II »

I'd like to have the MacDive files that live in Application Support, live somewhere else. Specifically, I'd like to have those files in a DropBox folder. Is that currently possible?
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Possible for Application Support files to live elsewhere

Post by nick »

It is not officially supported. Application Support is the standard directory for data like this.
Paco II

Post by Paco II »

Please do at least consider this option for the future. A growing number of Mac applications are allowing users to choose the location for it's database file(s), to take advantage of the auto-backup, accessible anywhere, 'in the cloud', aspect of sites like Dropbox, MobileMe, etc.

fwiw, I've been able to accomplish this using symbolic links. works great, and I no longer need to worry about losing all my data if my computer crashes. As long as Dropbox doesn't crash ;)
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

You should probably still back up everything in Application Support, a lot of data gets saved there.
Paco II

Post by Paco II »

Not sure what you mean. The entire MacDive folder lives in Dropbox, with a symbolic link in the Application Support folder. As far as MacDive is concerned, everything is exactly where it expects it to be. Works great.
nick wrote:You should probably still back up everything in Application Support, a lot of data gets saved there.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

I mean you should back up everything in application support, if you are worried about your data. MacDive isn't the only thing that saves data there.

(Was talking more generally)
Paco II

Post by Paco II »

Oh yeah, totally! Backups are definitely happening. Thanks! :)
nick wrote:I mean you should back up everything in application support, if you are worried about your data. MacDive isn't the only thing that saves data there.

(Was talking more generally)