brixtonbanner
Dive Computer: D4

Merging dives

Post by brixtonbanner »

I have a Suunto D4 and use Macdive 1.5.3
Very nice
I dive virtually exclusively at work
I am working on machinery in a 10metres pool
Frequently we do some work then come up to get tools / briefings etc. and then go back down.
My profile therefore frequently looks like the alps with all the ups and downs
My D4 splits this into seperate dives
I have merged them in Macdive but sometimes when I connect my D4 after the following days dive it imports extra "dives" from the day previous. These "dives" seem to me to be the dives that I merged the previous day.

So here's the question.
How do I stop this second import of the same dives?
I wondered whether I should try to delete dives from my D4 but I cannot work out how to do that and in all honesty I would rather not.
Is it because I merged the dives when my D4 was not connected to my computer with Macdive open?
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Merging dives

Post by nick »

It's because the way macdive determines whether or not the dive is "new" is based on looking through the dives themselves. So, if you merge the newest one with a slightly older one, of course it no longer exists, so gets downloaded again.

I am looking at making some changes to make this better in the future, but 1.5.3 unfortunately won't get those changes.
brixtonbanner

Post by brixtonbanner »

So would I be right in assuming that if I delete all the merged dives and then re connect my D4 I will be back to having the correct amount of hours?
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

What's wrong with the number of hours?
Siaokao
Dive Computer: Zoop

Post by Siaokao »

Hi

I've been using macdive 1.5.3 for a while and have just upgraded to macdive 2.

I tried downloading new dives but system downloaded everything again from my dive comp. Thus I have duplicated dives. I tried merging similar dives hoping they will consolidate all info of 2 duplicated dives into one. But after merging 4 dives, I noticed dive records went all wrong. Now the merged dives appear to be a single very long dive with 0.1 depth in between.

Is there anyway I can edit the Raw information so I can try restore my old dives? If so, where can i find those files?

Thx in advance.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Merging dives is not for duplicates. It's for combining two (or more) short dives together, in instances where you surface briefly then continue the dive but the computer calls them separate dives.

Do you have "only import new dives" ticked in preferences ?
Siaokao

Post by Siaokao »

nick wrote:Merging dives is not for duplicates. It's for combining two (or more) short dives together, in instances where you surface briefly then continue the dive but the computer calls them separate dives.

Do you have "only import new dives" ticked in preferences ?
Hi

Thx for your reply. Yes, confirm I did tick "only import new dives" under preference.

Do If I were to del those dives now, can I download again from the dive comp?
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Yep - the way it works is that (by default) it downloads dives until it finds one that it has already seen. Then it stops. Usually this is fine as it just downloads the latest however many.

I'm working on some improvements to make that a little more flexible in the future.
brixtonbanner

Post by brixtonbanner »

nick wrote:What's wrong with the number of hours?
Thought that i had posted this this morning however I can't see it now so apologies if it is a duplicate post.
At work I frequently do down do some stuff then surface to get next briefing, tools etc. so my D4 logs these as "mini dives" I like to merge them so I can put the air consumption data in and get a view on how I'm doing there and also when I print them out I'm only using one sheet of paper per day not 3 or 4.
The other day I merged two of these mini-dives as normal but when I connected my D4 the next day it downloaded part of the day before's dive.
I thought that I hadn't merged the dives so did again
Now if I look at the view with the graph I see a fairly obvious repetition.
I tried to delete this dive from macdive and re-connected my D4 but it did not re import it
It's not a great problem as where it says 3 days 20 hours underwater I just remember that it's really 3 days 19 hours and 45 minutes
I'll just have to de-select import new dives only in preferences import everything again and then delete the dives I don't want.
Interestingly enough this re-importing of "mini dives" only seems to occur if I do the merging when my D4 is not connected to the Mac.
If I merge when it's connected I do not seem to have this problem
Siaokao

Post by Siaokao »

I tried deleting the problem dives and download again from dive comp, but it will not. At the end I untick 'only download new dives'.. downloaded everything and delete manually duplicated dives.