Best format to convert JTrak data to for input

Problems ? Get help here!
helgew
Dive Computer: Shearwater Perdix AI

Best format to convert JTrak data to for input

Post by helgew »

Hi all! New guy here, so please bear with me.

I am an avid Mac user and recently scored a used Galileo Sol, which I like very much (it's my first dive computer... only recently got back to diving after many, many years of letting my Open Water cert linger unused). I understand that there is no and will be no support for this computer in MacDive, but other posts on this forum have led me down a rabbit hole of some fun reverse engineering and a bit of simple java coding. Now, I am at the point where I could spew out all of the JTrak data (such as it is) to a file, which I would prefer to be in any of the XML formats.

Off the bat, I tried my luck with UDDF, only to find (like others have) that MacDive does not seem to fully support this format yet. My question is: which format should I use instead?

Thanks for any pointers and advice. If there is sufficient interest, I would be happy to make a JTrak to x-format converter available to the community.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Best format to convert JTrak data to for input

Post by nick »

UDDF should be fine, although not every field is supported - UDDF is fairly vast. What in particular isn't working? I'm happy to add support for missing stuff, if there's specific things you are after.

If you want me to look at extra UDDF support, then email me a sample file and a note about what specifically isn't working as you expect, and I'll take a look.

I was actually spending time last night adding UDDF export to the iPhone app, so, I'm quite literally in the middle of thinking about it anyway. Good timing on your part..

For what it's worth, MacDive's own XML format is the best to use, but less generic for your purpose.
helgew

Post by helgew »

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly... good timing too, I guess! :D

I'll send you the file as it is now. In my hands, the rating, site name, diver, computer, duration, max depth, average depth, and high and low temperatures are not imported from it.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Thanks for the sample. I'll add all of that for you and email you back with a new beta to test.
helgew

Post by helgew »

That's awesome!

By the way, after I added the samples, MacDive did populate the duration, max depth, avg. depth, and temps.

I also noted that the Computer column in the table does not allow me to pick the computer that MacDive did import. It seems to be a text field only, but I am sure you know that.

That all said, I started looking at your logbook XML, which seems to be a bit simpler. If you could send me the DTD, I am sure I could also use that as format.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

I also noted that the Computer column in the table does not allow me to pick the computer that MacDive did import. It seems to be a text field only, but I am sure you know that.
That column will be changing in an upcoming version so it's no longer a text field, but rather a link to an existing gear item. This is a terrible hangover from v 1.0.0 that needs to go away.
That all said, I started looking at your logbook XML, which seems to be a bit simpler. If you could send me the DTD, I am sure I could also use that as format.
There isn't one - I listed it, but never got around to generating it. You can just use an exported file as an example. I need to do this at some point, but I have too many other things to do right now.
helgew

Post by helgew »

Many thanks for your help with this, Nick! I have posted the first release of the tool you helped me with here.