Using iCloud sync, Mac and phone show 2 more dives than iPad

Problems ? Get help here!
rlmalisz
Dive Computer: Suunto

Using iCloud sync, Mac and phone show 2 more dives than iPad

Post by rlmalisz »

I'm using iCloud sync. The two dives I did back in January of this year show on my iPhone and desktop, but no amount of synch attempts gets them onto either of my iPads. Suggestions?

--Richard
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Using iCloud sync, Mac and phone show 2 more dives than

Post by nick »

1. Disable sync on all devices, bar one
2. On that, choose "Reset Cloud"
3. Wait for an hour
4. Enable sync on one device
5. Wait 20-30 mins
6. Enable on the next device
7. Repeat until done
rlmalisz

Post by rlmalisz »

nick wrote:1. Disable sync on all devices, bar one
2. On that, choose "Reset Cloud"
3. Wait for an hour
4. Enable sync on one device
5. Wait 20-30 mins
6. Enable on the next device
7. Repeat until done
Did as directed, using the OSX desktop as the "anchor device". Enabled sync on one of the iPads, made no difference. Still short two dives. Decided I'd disable it and start the process over again, and somehow lost another 40 dives on the desktop. Remind me again which file is the actual local DB file? I can snag it from a backup and at least not have lost ground.

This shouldn't be this hard.

--Richard
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

No, it shouldn't be hard at all.

The other way to do this is instead of disabling sync on the i-devices, just nuke the app to clear out all of their data. And then re-install, so they are only pulling data down and not trying to merge in any way.

Nothing should ever be deleted. As the sync is only change-based, the only way it deletes things is if you delete something: then it sees a particular object was removed, and it applies that change.

The FAQ links to where you can find the data file:
http://mac-dive.com/help/mac_04_01_userdata.php

Perhaps restore that, and then try nuking all the iOS devices, and kick off a fresh sync from the desktop. Then all they are doing is pulling a fresh set of data down from the cloud.
rlmalisz

Post by rlmalisz »

nick wrote:No, it shouldn't be hard at all.

The other way to do this is instead of disabling sync on the i-devices, just nuke the app to clear out all of their data. And then re-install, so they are only pulling data down and not trying to merge in any way.

Nothing should ever be deleted. As the sync is only change-based, the only way it deletes things is if you delete something: then it sees a particular object was removed, and it applies that change.

The FAQ links to where you can find the data file:
http://mac-dive.com/help/mac_04_01_userdata.php

Perhaps restore that, and then try nuking all the iOS devices, and kick off a fresh sync from the desktop. Then all they are doing is pulling a fresh set of data down from the cloud.
So I had hoped to know which *file* in that directory needed restored, but I can do the whole thing.

As a science experiment, I set my phone (which still has all 854 dives on it) to sync to Dropbox...which I'd never used before, so I figured it would be "clean slate". Set one of the iPads to sync to Dropbox as well, dust settles, still 2 dives short. Set the desktop to sync there, after sync it still shows 810 dives. I did not delete the dives, something bizarre about this sync process did. But the phone still has 854. If I can't snag a backup, is there there some way to make the desktop believe the phone's data? A lot of sync systems have options for choosing initial sync behavior...device X wins, current cloud wins. Might be something to consider.

Regardless, the Dropbox experiment makes me think I will have to remove the iOS apps and start over. So assuming I get the desktop back to sanity:

1) remove iOS apps
2) from desktop, "reset cloud data" (or is that even needed)
3) reinstall iOS apps, enable cloud sync

That about right?

--Richard
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

One thing you should keep in mind is that the iPad shows you dives *for a diver*. If you are looking at the dashboard as your dive count, it will potentially be different. What happens if you switch diver (top right, switch diver icon)? Is there multiple divers with different dive counts logged? Or if you look at the All Dives tag - what does that show, given it's not filtered by diver?

Often this is due to either dives with no diver associated, or you have two divers with the same name and they've been mixed up. The iPad, unfortunately, exacerbates this a little since the main/initial view is filtered differently.

I can't explain the other two. And no, its not necessarily a clean state, as you still have local cached data which is being considered, and probably just confusing things further. Deleting the apps is better, but you would want to make sure you have all the dives on the desktop first.

Again. I would nuke everything, except the desktop, if you're happy the desktop contains all the data you need. And then reset the cloud. And then leave it (iCloud can take a while to propagate correctly). And then reinstall.

Edit: the whole lot could just be confused diver names, I suppose - it's the first thing I would check. On the desktop you could go to Divers and a) see how many divers you have, and b) what the dive counts are for them each. If they differ, select ALL dives, assign one diver, nuke the others, and then reset the sync..

One other thing to do would be send me the MacDive.sqlite data file from the desktop, and also from the phone. I can take a look at both and see if I can replicate your issue syncing it back and forth, etc.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

One other point of confusion -

The number of dives shown on the dashboard is also the largest dive number of the diver, not the count of dives. So eg if you have 10 dives logged, but the highest one is 20 (because you didn't log the first 10), then it will say "20 dives".

So the best things to compare are the All Dives tag on iOS, and the status bar count in macOS.

It's worth making sure you're actually comparing the same thing, not different stats..