vyper air and custom idea cable.

Problems ? Get help here!
miraclemax
Dive Computer: xDeep Black EANx

Re: vyper air and custom idea cable.

Post by miraclemax »

UPDATE:

Here is the reply I got from Silicon Labs (I'm also sending this to Custom Idea so they are aware):
Hello,
Thank you for contacting Silicon Labs support.

The drivers we supply work with 10.6 32 bit OS. We are hoping to have 64 bit support as early as the end of this week barring any issues during testing.

Regards,
Craig

Below is a summary of your request:

Ticket ID : MCU-4715
Components : USB to UART
Part Number : CP2101
Support Request : CP210x on OS 10.6.4 not working
Priority : Blocker
Not sure they understood what I meant when I described my problem but I did link the proper product in the ticket... lets see what happens...

In the meantime, my problem remains... "cannot identify the dive computer" from Macdive... any help would be appreciated.
Best dive ever :
My Dos Ojos Cenote Dive : http://vimeo.com/22533046
miraclemax

Post by miraclemax »

...yet another update (I almost feel like I'm spamming this forum... hope its okay).

I emailed Ruben from Custom Idea the response I got from Silicon Labs and this is what he wrote back:
Hi,

Well it’s funny, because I checked again the other day and first they said that the driver on their website does work with Snow Leopard, and then I pointed out that the revision document was last updated in 2008, so I didn’t see how they had updated it. Then they said:

“The current version runs on Snow Leopard, but there are some stability issues that the developers are working out. It is still being worked on, and has taken much longer than anticipated, but it sounded like there was some breakthrough and progress recently. I think we ought to have a beta version for testing soon.”

Clearly, ‘we ought to have a beta version for testing soon’ means that they are certainly not near a stable, working release as they first said! I really don’t understand it.

Perhaps you might want to try the one on their website? Maybe they have updated it and not updated the release notes (I doubt it!).

In any case, do let me know how you get on – I get emails almost daily about this.
So I guess that anyone having this problem should make it a point to email Silicon Labs... maybe they'll work faster this way.

PS... my problem remains... "cannot identify the dive computer" from Macdive... any help would be appreciated. (yyyyyeah ok now I'm spamming... :P )
Best dive ever :
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

PS... my problem remains... "cannot identify the dive computer" from Macdive... any help would be appreciated.
Your problem is with their driver, unfortunately. It sounds like they're working on it, and I think the best you can do is harass them and keep an eye on any releases they have, beta or otherwise.

The FTDI driver isn't going to help you, either. You need theirs.
miraclemax

Post by miraclemax »

Thanks for clearing that up and responding Nick, much appreciated!

As an update Silicon Labs sent me another email today with a pre-release driver package. I'll be testing it later on tonight.
Best dive ever :
miraclemax

Post by miraclemax »

I'm happy to report that the pre-release drivers that were sent to me by Silicon Labs worked perfectly! :)

They say the drivers should be out this weekend or early next week. I'm not going to post the file I got from them just in case there is a flaw that I couldn't test. But with my Gekko, everything worked.

I'll be on the lookout for the drivers on the Silicon Labs page and will also be in contact with Custom Idea to know when they release the drivers. At that point I'll post a link in this forum.

Cheers! :)
Best dive ever :
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Thanks very much for the update - this is great news. I get a fair number of queries about this. If you (or silabs) haven't already let CustomIdea know about this, I'm sure they'd be glad to hear!

Thanks again. Once they make an actual release I'll post something on the macdive RSS to let people know.
Juan Tugoh
Dive Computer: Suunto Mosquito

Post by Juan Tugoh »

Custom Idea have this morning sent me an e-mail saying that they now have a driver for Snow Leopard.

It sort of half worked importing a few dives then decided it would not speak to my dive computer. I am back to square one now with the dive computer not being recognised. It may however work for others and can be found on the Custom Idea website.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

It sounds like this is a beta release and is not 100%. Make sure you give them any feedback you can (console logs and the like) to help them out.
miraclemax

Post by miraclemax »

I had emailed Ruben from Custom Idea to tell him to contact Silicon Labs to have their final release but I think he jumped the gun a bit and posted the version I got.

I've emailed him telling him the drivers were sent to me as pre-release and that one of "us" here had a problem with it.

If other people want to test the drivers you can find them here:

http://www.customidea.com/shop/support/ ... d.mpkg.zip

Custom Idea might update them with the final Silicon Labs release but I don't know if or when. If they contact me I'll let you all know.
Best dive ever :