vyper air and custom idea cable.

Problems ? Get help here!
mongrel_stu
Dive Computer: Suunto Vyper air

vyper air and custom idea cable.

Post by mongrel_stu »

Hoping someone can help me here. I have a suunto vyper air and the new custom ideas cable with intel mac driver installed. The cable is recognised as a Sunnto compatible USB download cable on system profiler.

Whenever I try to download info from the dive computer, I get an "error contacting dive computer" message. The dive computer is in data transfer mode

Under advanced preferences in macdive only the following ports are available:

/dev/tty.Stu-1
/dev/tty.Stuart-1
/dev/tty.Stuart-2

Can someone please suggest a way for me to get a transfer working.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: vyper air and custom idea cable.

Post by nick »

What version of OS X do you run ?

They don't officially have support for Snow Leopard yet, so you may have to email them (I think they *might* have a beta version you could try).
TnT
Dive Computer: many

Post by TnT »

Maybe you can use the Silicon Labs CP210x driver?
Juan Tugoh
Dive Computer: Suunto Mosquito

Post by Juan Tugoh »

Hi,

I am having the same problem, I tried the Silicon Labs CP210x driver but it did not work. If anyone has a fix or any other suggestions that would be great.

Thanks
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

I haven't heard anything from CustomIdea about snow leopard support. You should email them and ask.
Juan Tugoh

Post by Juan Tugoh »

Just got this reply from CustomIdea, so if anyone else has the same problem please do as Reuben suggests.
This is very frustrating for us too. We don't make the drivers - this
company does:

http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/page ... ivers.aspx

They told us they would have drivers shortly after Christmas! Needless to
say we have been badgering them ever since but still no luck. If it's
possible for you to email them and ask the same thing then growing consumer
pressure may speed them along.

They did send us an alpha driver at one point but it didn't work at all, so
that was fairly worthless.

Sorry again for this - it's frustrating that its out of our control!

Regards,

Reuben Wilcock
Sales and Technical Support
Custom Idea Ltd, UK
Thanks

JT
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Thanks for this JT - hopefully thats useful to anyone else with the same problem.

Hopefully if other people with the problem see this, they will also send silabs an email directly and get something sorted!
Juan Tugoh

Post by Juan Tugoh »

I'm getting some help from SiLabs who seem to think that their CP201X driver should work with Snow Leopard, one thing they keep asking me to check is,
In order for the driver to be able to communicate with a device, the VID/PID combination saved on the device must match the VID/PID combination that the driver is expecting to see.
No I have no idea how to do that and so I am stuck. If anyone knows how to check/change the VID/PID on a Suunto Mosquito please let me know! I have got to the stage whereby the cable does seem to communicate with the Suunto Mosquito, indeed you get a message saying "Beginning Download" but then very quickly a message saying "Cannot Identify Dive Computer" - SiLabs gave me a beta driver to try but since installing that, immediately after the "Cannot Identify Dive Compter" message, the OS crashes and I need to restart the Mac.

Don't know if any of that helps but it is where I am upto with this issue. SiLabs seem to be trying to help but also seem to think I am some kind of programmer rather than a frustrated diver trying to access data I used to be able to get at easily!
TnT
Dive Computer: many

Post by TnT »

I think the VID/PID for the CustomIdea cable is 0x10C4/0xEA60 (from the table on the libdivecomputer website). Although I can't confirm whether that is correct or not (hence the question mark).

On linux, you can find the VID/PID with the "lsusb" command, but I have no idea if that (or something equivalent) exists on Mac OS X.
miraclemax
Dive Computer: xDeep Black EANx

Post by miraclemax »

I've got OS 10.6.4, a Gekko and I purchased the Custom Idea cable as well. I've also sent an email to Custom Idea AND Silicon Labs support services. The folks from Custom Idea were super fast and polite and pointed me to the Silicon Labs people. I'm currently waiting feedback from them.

In an attempt to try and find a solution anyway, I've downloaded drivers for the drivers for the FTDI chip (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm) and they seem to work! ...well... almost. Macdive and OSX both recognise my Suunto computer... I can go in Preferences and set the serial port (which for me is /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART) but when I try to import from "FILE > IMPORT > VYPER/VYTEC/STINGER/MOSQUITO/COBRA/D3/GEKKO" it tells me "cannot identify the dive computer"...

Can anyone help?

(PS My Gekko is on PC SET when I connect it to the MAC.)

Thanks!
Best dive ever :
My Dos Ojos Cenote Dive : http://vimeo.com/22533046