String case issue causes sync to stop working

Problems ? Get help here!
weppos
Dive Computer: Perdix, Petrel

String case issue causes sync to stop working

Post by weppos »

This is a follow up to my reply here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2452
After extensive investigation, I believe I found what happened.

Yesterday I created on iOS a new site. I did not realize I already had it, and I re-created it with only a small difference in the case sensitivity:

vs the one I already had

All the other fields (site name and country) were equivalent. I then assigned the newly downloaded dive to this site on iOS.
After I was navigating the sites I noticed "Del" was mispelled, and I lower cased it. Again, I didn't realize at that time another exact location was already present.

I tried to sync, it completed successfully from iOS to Drobopx, but the changes were not loaded into Mac.
In iOS I went back to the site list and I noticed that the site was reporting 2 dives. But when I was clicking on it, it only shown one.

I went on Mac and I saw I already had the same site. Hence on iOS I renamed the "Location" of the site into "Foo".
I navigated to the main panel, then back to the site list again, and I found the "Foo" site, and the previous "Isola del Giglio" site (remember, they were previously somehow merged).
Then I changed also the second site to "Bar" in the attempt to trigger a resync.

At that point, on iOS the sites were different. And I could see each of them having 1 dive.
However, on the Mac the changes were not synced. It looks like the Mac did not recognize as the chance ever happened.

I tried to create a dive in both Mac and iOS. It didn't force the resync.

Finally, I created a new site. That seems it forced the resync of the whole site list, at that point also the Mac inherited the Foo/Bar changes (as well the new site).

At that point, the new dive was there as well.

--

Long story short, I think there are potential issues if you create a site that duplicates an existing one for some fields where the only difference is the string case.
I would expect the new/edit site panel to validate the input and warn if an existing site is already present (case insensitive). Or perhaps handle sites to be case sensitive everwhere.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: String case issue causes sync to stop working

Post by nick »

You are correct, there are probably places that aren't checking against case. Usually you can pick an existing site from a dropdown or via autocomplete, though.

I will look in to it when I get a chance.

Thanks for the report.