Can dives be entered manually

Problems ? Get help here!
JCHunter
Dive Computer: Zoop Novo

Can dives be entered manually

Post by JCHunter »

I'm new to MacDive and pretty new to scuba. My first 34 dives are in a written dive log that is not computerized. Can I manually enter these first dives before doing my first download from my new dive computer?
Bollar
Dive Computer: Shearwater Perdix AI

Re: Can dives be entered manually

Post by Bollar »

JCHunter wrote:I'm new to MacDive and pretty new to scuba. My first 34 dives are in a written dive log that is not computerized. Can I manually enter these first dives before doing my first download from my new dive computer?
Absolutely.

Just select File Menu: New Dive and fill in the blanks on each tab. I think you'll find that everything from your paper log has a spot in MacDive.

The one thing you might want to do after uploading the dives from your computer is renumber them. You can do that manually or automatically. To do it automatically, select the dives you want to renumber, right click and select "Renumber Selected Dives".
JCHunter
Dive Computer: Zoop Novo

Post by JCHunter »

The problem I am having is that when I try to manually enter the date for the "new" dive (actually back in 2015) I keep getting an error message that the "value" is invalid and has to be changed. I've tried every variation I can think of for entering date and even when I use the exact same format as the automatic generator I get the same error message.
Bollar

Post by Bollar »

Hm.

When I add a dive, I see it adds the current date & time. I just edit it to the dive time from my log and it saves correctly. I guess that's not working for you?
Ken

Post by Ken »

JCHunter: Have you figured this out? It sounds like maybe you're trying to edit the date from the dive list? If you open the dive inspector, it should have an easier way to edit the date. Command-I or the 'i' button in the toolbar.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Sorry for the delay, I've been away.

The usual cause of "invalid value" here is that when you edit the date/time, you remove the time, and try to set just a date. The field really expects there to also be a time.

As someone said earlier, if you go to edit, then use it as a template: don't remove the time, just change the existing values. That usually fixes the problem.

This has come up a few times, I'll add a note to look at it when I get a chance. For now, as above, just change the existing values rather than removing everything and trying to type it in.