New Macbook Pro (USB-C) with MacOS High Sierra won't sync

Problems ? Get help here!
PieterMX
Dive Computer: Suunto D6i

New Macbook Pro (USB-C) with MacOS High Sierra won't sync

Post by PieterMX »

Hi,

I can't get MacDive to work with my relatively new Macbook Pro (USB-C generation). I'm using a Suunto D6i with the official cable. On my previous Macbook (pre-MacOS-Sierra) I was using the VCP drivers from TFDI at:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

However it seems MacOS now comes with the FTDI drivers included, as stated on:

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=427825.0
After emailing Future Tecnology's support group and getting a reply (wasn't expecting that!) they recommended removing their driver and relying on the built in Apple FTDI driver (AppleUSBFTDI.kext). I did this and all now works. Future Technology's email said:

Since 10.9 (Mavericks), OS X has included built-in partial support for some FTDI devices in VCP mode. Starting with 10.11 (El Capitan), Apple's own driver seems to be sufficiently comprehensive that many customers will not need to install FTDI's own VCP unless they wish to use its advanced features such as baud-rate aliasing and configurable latency times.
Since removing the drivers didn't seem to work either I reinstalled MacOS High Sierra. Guess what, still nothing :x I'm unable to download dives, help would be appreciated! 8-)

Specs / USB:

nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: New Macbook Pro (USB-C) with MacOS High Sierra won't syn

Post by nick »

This is incorrect. You still need to install the USB driver. The built in one does not support Suunto devices.

Assuming of course the problem you get is that it can’t find the serial port; since you don’t actually mention what error message or issue you are actually having.
PieterMX
Dive Computer: Suunto D6i

Post by PieterMX »

The problem is that the serial port wasn't there. I've just reinstalled the FTDI drivers and it seems High Sierra needs an extra step to get the drivers activated:

First a warning (which didn't show up before reinstalling MacOS and the drivers):

Enabling the driver:

Starting MacDive, it selected the wrong serial port:

After selecting the correct port things started working again:

nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

I'm not sure, I can't understand most of that.

Glad you got it working though.

Thanks