Re-Installing MacDive and previous data

Problems ? Get help here!
placebo365
Dive Computer: Oceanic Geo 2.0

Re-Installing MacDive and previous data

Post by placebo365 »

Hi,

I bought a license for MacDive several years ago and had several hundred dives recorded in it with loads of photos, gear, dive site info etc. I have all that info backed up in a hard drive (PDF download, licence, backups etc). But my computer recently crashed and had to be wiped of everything to start again. I've now reinstalled MacDive but it obviously no longer has the previous data in it.

A - Is there any way to re-instal the previous data I had (it's not in the iCloud just on the HD backup) and
B - I've now got a thousand or so more dives to import but I'm getting "Could not detect a valid serial port" error.

I'm running Mac OSX ElCapitan 10.11.6. I've installed the FTDI USB serial driver ver2.4.2 but still no joy. I've looked at the FTDIchip.com info on what to do if there are errors but am really confused by this. I don't want to start typing commands into my computer about deleting drivers etc if I'm not doing the right thing.

Can you give me some info on how to fix this please, thanks in advance. I'm using an Oceanic Geo 2.0
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Re-Installing MacDive and previous data

Post by nick »

A - Is there any way to re-instal the previous data I had (it's not in the iCloud just on the HD backup) and
See this page in the FAQ: http://mac-dive.com/help/faq_01_07_move.php

It explains where your data lives, and therefore, how to copy it from the external and on to another Mac.
B - I've now got a thousand or so more dives to import but I'm getting "Could not detect a valid serial port" error.

I'm running Mac OSX ElCapitan 10.11.6. I've installed the FTDI USB serial driver ver2.4.2 but still no joy.
Reboot, often it just doesn't "start" properly after installing, and rebooting will fix it.

Note that you will not get 1000 dives off the Geo 2. Maybe 40 or 50 if you are lucky.
placebo365
Dive Computer: Oceanic Geo 2.0

Post by placebo365 »

Hi, thanks for the super quick response.

I got MacDive working by doing the reboot.

I've copied over the Macdive data from the external hard drive to my current Mac and have followed the instructions on the link you gave but nothing extra has been imported into Macdive. Done a reboot too and still nothing, also synced with iCloud, nothing.

You were unfortunately spot on with only getting the last 40 dives data off the Geo. Bummer. Anyway, it would be awesome if I could at least get the old data of my first few hundred dives into my new Macdive. If there are any other specific instructions to get this done, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

There are not. If you have the restored the main file you backed up, MacDive.sqlite, it just means you copied it to the wrong place if you don't see anything (either that or you backed up an empty one).

If you have used it at all then you would get a prompt to overwrite the existing file (which contains nothing, or just the recently imported ones). Note you can't merge this data, this is a replacement. So you would need to replace the current MacDive file with your backed up one, and THEN import the new dives from the Geo.

FYI syncing to iCloud/Dropbox is not a backup. It works in a pinch, and certainly makes moving to a new Mac easier. But it should never be used as your only backup source.