Manual entry questions, TTL dive, Last Dive, Temp,

Problems ? Get help here!
nodeco33

Manual entry questions, TTL dive, Last Dive, Temp,

Post by nodeco33 »

Just installed Mac OS & iOS, everything downloaded from Vyper Air, mucked about and manually entered next 50+ dives, but now cannot figure a couple things....

I have manually entered my 'Previous Dive Time' so it all adds up to my current log book total. Check.
How do I manually add to 'Total Dives' so it adds up to my log book total?
I have searched forums and the apps....?? I can't go on my next trip and show them only 70 dives, and the thought of manually adding the next 300+ doesn't excite me...

Next, on my Diver Profile it shows my 'Last Dive' as Oct 19, 2017...?? In the Date/This Year there are Zero dives logged, and my last dive was Oct 25, 2016, downloaded correctly from my computer. The date on my Vyper and my MBP are current and correct.

Lastly, it shows in the 'General Statistics' as my warmest dive being 195.80 deg. Now I'm one for warm water, but....

I'll send you whatever files you need, send me a link on how to find them....Thanks for your help!

Also, I'd love to know if theres a keyboard shortcut (or tell me how to do it correctly) to enter a new dive and have the Inspector to open immediately rather than cmd N to open a new line on my list of dives and then Rt click, Edit to open the inspector.
Cheers!
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Manual entry questions, TTL dive, Last Dive, Temp,

Post by nick »

nodeco33 wrote: I have manually entered my 'Previous Dive Time' so it all adds up to my current log book total. Check.
How do I manually add to 'Total Dives' so it adds up to my log book total?
You can't. The indication would be the largest dive number.
I can't go on my next trip and show them only 70 dives, and the thought of manually adding the next 300+ doesn't excite me...
I have never been to a dive shop that requires looking through my log. This is so weird.
Next, on my Diver Profile it shows my 'Last Dive' as Oct 19, 2017...?? In the Date/This Year there are Zero dives logged, and my last dive was Oct 25, 2016, downloaded correctly from my computer. The date on my Vyper and my MBP are current and correct.
My guess is you have a manually entered dive with that date? The "Last Dive" is the latest dive date.
Lastly, it shows in the 'General Statistics' as my warmest dive being 195.80 deg. Now I'm one for warm water, but....
Again this would be the highest temperature found on a dive. So.. change it on the dive.
Also, I'd love to know if theres a keyboard shortcut (or tell me how to do it correctly) to enter a new dive and have the Inspector to open immediately rather than cmd N to open a new line on my list of dives and then Rt click, Edit to open the inspector.
Cheers!
With the Dive Inspector open, press Command + N. It creates and selects the new dive immediately. If it's not already open, Command + N then Command + I creates one, then opens the Inspector on it.
nodeco33

Post by nodeco33 »

Thank you for clarifying the Dive Inspector opening.

I always have been requested to show a logbook when diving with a new shop, along with cert cards, and current medical, regardless of country, level of cert. That was the point of this purchase; so I wouldn't have to drag a book along with me....I was just curious, I'll deal with it.

Re: Last Dive & Temp - Ive attached photos, but I'm new at this, where else can I look/edit?

Thank you for the help & Software.
Last Dive oct17.jpg
High Temp.jpg
Attachments
0 Dive 2017.jpg
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Sorry, its a bit hard to tell from photos of your screen. Screenshots are better, or just email me your data otherwise this will go back and forth. Instructions here:

http://mac-dive.com/help/mac_04_01_userdata.php

Send me "MacDive.sqlite".

Thanks.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Thanks for sending your data. I took a quick look.

Temperature: This shows as warmest: 91c for me. That's 195f. The max temp is indeed 91c in the list, so that is correct per your data. If it was entered as 91c in Metric then it would convert to 195f when you switch to Imperial.

Profile: The "Latest Dive" shows as 25/10/2016 for me.

It's possible the Latest Dive is just a refresh issue, try quitting/restarting.
nodeco33

Post by nodeco33 »

Thank you Nick for replying.
I realized what happened with the temp - I used 'Canadian' measurements to enter the dives ( I never switched 'to' anything with data entered) ... I switched to imperial and batch edited- all good now.

The last dive was a mystery, it did reset itself, but it took a couple of shut-downs, iOS closures and MBP shutdown to right itself. it too, all good.

I do wish I could manually enter a 'previous' dive count....

I also wish I could enter 'Air Used' instead of Air End, but the field is greyed - my computer only shows ending air if I scroll through the whole dive, but shows Air Used on the summary screen....

Looking forward to my future trips and only having to download....
Thanks for your work!
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

The last dive was a mystery, it did reset itself, but it took a couple of shut-downs, iOS closures and MBP shutdown to right itself. it too, all good.
Closing iOS or shutting down your MacBook Pro wouldn't have anything to do with this. MacDive simply finds the last dive, and shows the time difference. Most likely there was a dive there at some point that had a date in the future. Switching divers, or quitting and restarting, would have forced it to refresh in the case it hadn't.

Anything else sounds pretty odd, I can't explain that.

I do wish I could manually enter a 'previous' dive count....
This seems like a bizarre feature. You don't need a previous count, you have the highest dive number. The best use-case I can think of related to this request is to display the highest dive number somewhere prominent, which is far less complicated than typing a number.

For example, if I have done 10 dives and I have logged 5, why would I then type "5" in to some special field? What does that offer that isn't already known? You can infer the previous dive count. I think what you really mean is, "could you please display the highest dive number somewhere instead of the number of logged dives".

Which makes sense, though, I'm still not sure how useful it is over simply referencing the number of the latest dive.
I also wish I could enter 'Air Used' instead of Air End, but the field is greyed - my computer only shows ending air if I scroll through the whole dive, but shows Air Used on the summary screen....
Can't you just download the dive, which automatically fills all of that out?
nodeco33

Post by nodeco33 »

MacDive simply finds the last dive, and shows the time difference. Most likely there was a dive there at some point that had a date in the future.
Well as I'm not Marty McFly and all my devices are correct, I, too was stumped. The only thing that is sometimes 'off' is the time on my Vyper as I leave it on 'Trip time' as most of my trips are to the same time zone, but its only 6hr ahead of my home, not days and the imported log was correct, and when I sorted by date, the future date did not appear.
I just reported what fixed it because closing the macOS version didn't correct it because someone in the future might run across this.
Can't you just download the dive, which automatically fills all of that out?
I did that already- my last 26 dives were imported straight from the computer, and it worked great.
The FAQ explained that even though I can see more dives in my computer only a certain number have the actual data stored, which for the Vyper Air is unfortunately only 30 hours.
Going forward it will not be a problem as I've started using your app, but there are a lot of dives/hours I have to manually enter.

Which is why I am curious about the manual entry of previous dive time yet not number of dives? If one does not matter historically, why would the second. I would think they go hand in hand.
I can manually enter my previous dive time to make it correct but now appears I have over 500hrs on only 80 dives...

Thank you for following up!
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Say you have one dive logged, and it's number 2, and was 45 minutes. Logged dives = 1. You can infer total dives = 2. But how long is the total time? You can't figure out how long non-logged dives are. Best you could do is a wild guess.

I was planning on making the profile section show the highest dive number tonight (as I type this I have literally just walked in the door and sat down to fix some other things). This should, helpfully, solve your problem, without needing an extra field to type anything.

Re: downloading, you are correct, though I would think on a Vyper if you can scroll through the dive then the profile was available to download. It's been a while since I used one so I don't recall what is available still on the device after the profile is overwritten.
nodeco33

Post by nodeco33 »

I have a Vyper because of the large screen, and my eyes are not what they used to be when I had my Citizen Hyper Aqualand, and I never considered 'saved dive hours' before as it saves enough data to complete my paper book; yes, I still log every dive/H:m on paper so I know exactly how many minutes I've spent underwater since I started my training all those years ago...lol, it's all been copied onto paper the old-fashioned way...

Without spending a fortune to get a new large-screen computer I will live with the limited hours of the Vyper, as I said, going forward it won't be an issue - maybe one or two dives a trip may get over-written for downloading purposes, but the data is still accessible.

I can use a calculator to figure out my ending air so I don't have to sit and scroll through each dive to see it.

Yes, showing the highest dive number would suffice, I didn't need an extra field to show what's been put into the software as thats all it shows, is how many dives are in the software.

Thank you Nick for all your hard work.