Error message when importing .bak file from Suunto DM4

Problems ? Get help here!
Romes
Dive Computer: d6i

Error message when importing .bak file from Suunto DM4

Post by Romes »

Hi, I am struggling to get my dives properly moved over from Suunto DM4 into MacDive. These dives have already been overwritten on the dive computer so it's not just a matter of re-importing straight from the d6i.

- On my old MBP I have Suunto DM4 with around 75 dives
- On my new MBP I have MacDive and now Suunto DM5.

When I create a backup from Suunto DM4 on the old MBP and move the .bak file over to the new MBP and import into MacDive I get the following error message:

"Uh-Oh! Failed To Query Database: no such column: SerialNumber"

Here's what I have tried with limited success
Attempt 1
- I installed the MacDive trial directly onto the old MBP and tried to a) to import the DM4.db.bak file into MacDive and then after no success b) also tried to drag and drop the DM4.db file that sits within the hidden .config folder into MacDive. Both procedures yielded the same error message above.

Attempt 2
- I exported a sample of 12 dives from the old mac into .XML format and then re-imported these into MacDive on the new MBP. The dives came in seamlessly but the alarms or other annotations are not retained (guessing this is because the Suunto DM4 software doesn't export this data into the .XML file). All of the items under "View" are checked so they don't appear to be hidden by MacDive.

Attempt 3
- I installed DM5 on the new MBP. I then moved the DM4.db from my old MBP to the new MBP as suggested by another forum for trying to move dives between Macs when using DM4/DM5. The dives are viewable in DM5 but many of the Ascent Warnings are missing. The 20s samples no longer appear to be listed out in the "Profile" tab on DM5 but the graph appears to include all of the samples. I then created a .bak file from DM5 and imported this into MacDive on the new MBP. No error message and import fully completed however what I got was a mix of either a) dives successfully imported with all data/alarms/annotations b) dives with all data but some alarms missing or in the wrong spot or random "unknown" alarms which are not showing up in DM4 or DM5 c) some with the alarm issues AND depth information missing/corrupt (so the dive profile looks like I tried to self-induce DCS doing 0-100-0ft about 12 times during the dive).

Attempt 4
- Downloaded DM5 on the old MBP, created a backup in DM5 which I imported into MacDive on the old MBP and got same issues at Attempt 3.

All of the original information looks just fine in DM4 on the old MBP so does not look like the data is corrupt.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Error message when importing .bak file from Suunto DM4

Post by nick »

MacDive doesn't track all of the alarms that Suunto Dive Manager does, so yes, some will be missing. For instance some devices have all sorts of alarms like "Dive Active", "Surfaced", etc that are pointless, so they are ignored. Note that MacDive also supports many devices other than Suunto, it's not a Suunto specific application, therefore sometimes you will not find 100% parity. There's probably some that are missing, I can add them if they make sense and map to existing ones.

If there are issues with the depth profile from a DM5 .bak file, then I would need to look at the file. I'm not aware of any outstanding issues reading it.

Thanks.
Romes
Dive Computer: d6i

Post by Romes »

Hi, would it be possible for you to look into the error message I am getting when trying to bring in my DM4.db.bak into MacDive.... I am happy to send you the original DM4 files.

The software clearly says that I should be able to import a .db.bak file from DM4 so am I missing something? Is this error message a known issue?

Fair enough that the pointless annotations like "surfaced" aren't mapped to carry through, can live without these, however as I pointed out ALL of the alarms are missing when I export from DM4 into XML and then bring the XML into MacDive and obviously I don't know if this is due to the information not being included in the XML file when it's exported from DM4 or if the MacDive software is not mapped to extract from the XML file. This issue applies to around 65 of the dives I am trying to move over which are no longer on the d6i and were originally imported through DM4.

And for whatever reason when I move the DM4 database into DM5 by replacing the DM4.db file in the hidden .config folder and then create a DM5 .bak the data comes in corrupt....so should I just give up or can we look into getting around the error message from the DM4.db.bak file so that I can try and retain the tags that should actually be coming through and kiss this sorry Suunto DM garbage goodbye for good??? Thanks
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Email the file to support.