GPS coordinates

Problems ? Get help here!
chadwijm
Dive Computer: Eon Steel

GPS coordinates

Post by chadwijm »

Hi, I love the software but I've been trying to add the GPS locations for some dives in the Andaman sea and no matter what format I try they don't show the right location. Please could you advise the format I should use?

Thanks
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: GPS coordinates

Post by nick »

Hello,

iOS or macOS? Do you have an example of what you're trying?
danielc4096
Dive Computer: Oceanic Atom 3.1

Post by danielc4096 »

I have the same problem. I'm trying to set the location of a dive site in Southern California. The nearest named location on Google Maps is "Terranea Beach, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA"
The GPS coordinates I've tried pasting into the Sites > Map search field are:

33.738581, -118.393766
33°44'18.9"N 118°23'37.6"W

The location shown when I paste in the above GPS coordinates are wildly off, and the Latitude and Longitude values in the bottom right corner aren't the values pasted in the search field.
I've also tried pasting in the named location address "Terranea Beach, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA". MacDive is showing this address as in the middle of the parking lot, while Google Maps shows the beach.

The use-case seems pretty straightforward, but please let me know what I should be doing differently to properly set the site location. Thanks.
(I'm trying this on Mac, version 2.8.1)
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

It seems that Apple Maps is not handling a number of those formats. I've made some improvements for the next release.

Apologies for the inconvenience.
danielc4096
Dive Computer: Oceanic Atom 3.1

Post by danielc4096 »

Thank you, for the fix and the quick reply! :)
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

No problem. Email me if you want a beta to try. I've updated both the Site Inspector and the Dive Inspector so they should handle the same formats as iOS by default, before attempting to geocode via Apple Maps.

I'm sure I tested that functionality, but it seems it just doesn't work at all. :?: