Downloading from Nitek Q

Problems ? Get help here!
richiewrt
Dive Computer: Petrel 2

Downloading from Nitek Q

Post by richiewrt »

So I normally dive a petrel 2 and have no issues downloading over bluetooth. I recently purchased a nitek q to use as a backup and was trying to download the info from that computer into mac dive just to see if it recorded any difference from the petrel. When I hook up the usb to the nitek q and put it in "PC" mode and try to download the dives I get the below error in mac dive. Obviously the dive computer isn't talking to MacDive, but I can't figure out why. I have tried 2 different usb cables, closing and re-opening MacDive, and rebooting both the dive computer and the mac.

MacDive encounters a problem downloading from your Dive Rite Nitek Q:
Failed connecting to dive computer on serial port '/dev/tty.Petrel-SerialPort" (Error Code: -5)

Any help would be appreciated.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Downloading from Nitek Q

Post by nick »

Well if you look at the error, it's indicating that it's trying to use the Petrel serial port right? Which isn't going to work with your NiTeK.

Go to Preferences > Advanced. Check the dropdown for Serial Port Override and see what's there, you should see something else (I've forgotten the exact name for a NiTek and I can't check right now). If you choose that then it should let you download from it.

As an FYI, there will be a new version of MacDive available in a few hours when I get home from work. This version no longer requires a Petrel to be paired, meaning you can unpair it and that Petrel serial port will go away. This will make it easier to download from either device in the future as it shouldn't get confused trying to find the right thing.
richiewrt

Post by richiewrt »

Yes, by the time you wrote that I had found the advanced settings and had gotten it to work. On the plus side, (or down side depending on how you view it) I realized that my nitek I am using for a backup is wildly inaccurate. Looking at the profiles that it logged vs the profiles logged on the petrel there are many discrepancies in what it is showing. Sometimes a difference in max depth by over 30 feet. Time to send see about returning the nitek. The occasional glances I did when I first got the computer everything lined up pretty much with what my petrel was doing so I just started ignoring it. Thanks for writing a piece of software that would interface with both and allowed me to see the differences.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

richiewrt wrote:Yes, by the time you wrote that I had found the advanced settings and had gotten it to work.
My apologies for the slow reply. I'm at my day-job right now so I was doing something else at the time I saw the notification.
On the plus side, (or down side depending on how you view it) I realized that my nitek I am using for a backup is wildly inaccurate. Looking at the profiles that it logged vs the profiles logged on the petrel there are many discrepancies in what it is showing. Sometimes a difference in max depth by over 30 feet. Time to send see about returning the nitek. The occasional glances I did when I first got the computer everything lined up pretty much with what my petrel was doing so I just started ignoring it. Thanks for writing a piece of software that would interface with both and allowed me to see the differences.
I have a NiTeK and I've never seen discrepancies that large versus other profiles. Do they show the same thing on the devices themselves?
richiewrt

Post by richiewrt »

Yep. Looking at the log on the nitek shows a max depth of 94 feet on a dive I know was no deeper than 65 feet.