MacDive/ USB C incompatiability?

Problems ? Get help here!
aveys
Dive Computer: Suuto Vyper

MacDive/ USB C incompatiability?

Post by aveys »

Hi all, I having been using MacDive for about 6 months downloading dives from my Suunto Vyper to my late 2012 iMac using the supplied Suunto lead. I have recently bought a MacBook with only a USB C port for traveling. I do not seem to be able to download dives to the MacBook using the Suuto lead and an Apple USB A to C converter cable. The cable still works with my iMac. The error code I get is:

MacDive encountered a problem downloading from your Suunto Vyper:

Failed to read header information (Error Code: -7)

Can you help?

Best Alex
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: MacDive/ USB C incompatiability?

Post by nick »

This one, I'm not actually sure about, and I don't have anything with USB-C to test myself. Could you link me to the specific USB converter you bought? Do you have a different type you could try?

It would be worth trying Tools > Send Diagnostic Info (with vyper as the device type). Send me that.
aveys

Post by aveys »

Hi, I have just sent you the diagnostic info file. The converter was an Apple converter - a cable with a male USB C plug on one end and a female USB A socket on the other.

I have just got DM5 working, after speaking to Suunto support, by opening the file wall and adding SuuntoDM5 to the "Security and Privacy"/ "Accessibility", "privacy" progams.

Best regards and many thanks
Alex

PS I am using the same licence for the iMac as teh MacBook as I think this is allowed.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

I'm not aware of that workaround, but did you try adding MacDive to the same thing?

In the diagnostic data you sent me the serial port doesn't look familiar. Perhaps the wrong one used, or USB driver not installed, so it doesn't get as far as your earlier error message indicates. It would be good to repeat that test with the correct port. If you give me a list of what's there I can tell you what the correct one is.
aveys

Post by aveys »

I have since rebuilt my iMac with Sierra. At first, I got the same error with MacDive but turning the firewall off and adding MacDive to the accessibility list fixed this problem.

As a result, I have since deleted the FTDI Drivers on the MacBook, under a root login, reinstalled the drvier from the FTDI website, turned firewall off and added MacDive to the accessibility list. This should be exactly the same as the rebuild of the iMac. However, I still get the error -7. The only difference I can see is the USB C to USB A converter of which I have tried two makes.

There is only one USB C socket on the MacBook so I do not know how to change this. Could you give me some pointers?

All the best and many thanks for your forbearance
Alex
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

This all sounds rather strange. I've never encountered these problems personally. Installing the driver (and rebooting usually) is enough. Perhaps you have some non-standard settings that are causing issues?

Generally the "Failed to read header" message indicates that a connection to the cable/device was established, but data couldn't be transferred. This is most commonly because of low battery or because the device is not in PC Transfer mode.

I will need to get hold of something with USB-C and do some testing myself. I've not heard any other reports of issues, but I haven't had any personal experience with it either.
aveys

Post by aveys »

It does sound strange and rather confusing. As far as I know there are no non-standard settings as the MacBook is very new, do you have an idea of the sort of settings that may cause this and I will have a look?

The Vyper has battery power the maximum number of bars and it is definitely in PC transfer mode.

I am very happy to do what it takes to get this working

Many thanks
Alex
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Just had someone else with a similar problem, same USB driver (same USB chip inside the cable, so very similar setup). Once the USB driver was installed it downloaded correctly.

Make sure you have the right serial port selected. When you sent me the test information, you didn't, so of course you will see this error. You can change it under Prefs > Advanced > Serial Override. Make sure the driver is installed and you see the appropriate one in there. The "loss-serial" one is incorrect. MacDive should figure that out automatically, but it might pay to check.
aveys

Post by aveys »

Hi, I have tried this to no avail :((. I have sent you my latest test file. Really odd.

Best
Alex
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

The latest test file still uses the wrong serial port, and uses a different device. Are you still testing a Suunto? Because it was for an Oceanic.

I think the issue here is most likely that you don't have the USB driver installed. Other reports seem to indicate there's no real issue with USB-C itself.