roger
Dive Computer: sensus ultra

bug, site location from IOS?

Post by roger »

Hi Nick, I think I found a bug.

Track location using the IOS app.
Upload dives to the IOS app.
Sync over to mac.
Enter a location for a dive on the mac at a new site. The site does not have GPS coords, I'd expect that.
Sync data over the phone. The phone now knows about the new site and puts a location on the site.
The location data does not sync back over to the mac, so you wind up with the new site on both mac and phone, it has location on phone, but not on mac.

Second issue: If I'm on a multiday trip, and I upload dives from my dive computer to the iOS app, I can't seem to do it a second time reliably. The phone just keeps showing be the recent upload. Do I need to quit and restart the app? I don't want to do that because I don't want to interrupt location logging.

Generally, though, I gotta say, I just love the two apps more and more, they work so well together.

thanks!
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: bug, site location from IOS?

Post by nick »

roger wrote: Track location using the IOS app.
Upload dives to the IOS app.
Sync over to mac.
Enter a location for a dive on the mac at a new site. The site does not have GPS coords, I'd expect that.
Sync data over the phone. The phone now knows about the new site and puts a location on the site.
The location data does not sync back over to the mac, so you wind up with the new site on both mac and phone, it has location on phone, but not on mac.
Are you actually applying the location to the site at this point? The iPhone app will indeed show you tracked locations etc, but it won't assign them to sites automatically - you need to confirm it. See the User Guide, specifically look at "Using recorded Locations" here:

http://mac-dive.com/help/ios_01_07_track.php

What state is the iPhone actually in? Is it saying "Tap to assign a tracked location" or something? Perhaps send me a screenshot of the location.

Also, your workflow seems a little odd. I don't really get why you enter the location on the Mac. You could just do the lot on the phone? The iPhone app makes this more convenient if you have a device you can upload directly:

Track Location on iOS.
Upload dives to iOS.
Assign sites/create new sites on iOS.
Sync to Mac.

That's it. No sync back and forth.
Second issue: If I'm on a multiday trip, and I upload dives from my dive computer to the iOS app, I can't seem to do it a second time reliably. The phone just keeps showing be the recent upload. Do I need to quit and restart the app? I don't want to do that because I don't want to interrupt location logging.
When it says "the phone keeps showing me the recent upload" - have you tried tapping the "tick" on the right? That will clear out the "last download" display and be back to normal so you can tap to download again. Is that what you mean?

And at least as a workaround, there is absolutely no harm in disabling tracking and then re-enabling it. All that matters is that it is enabled around the time you are diving.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

And a quick extra note: If you ever see the "red dot" indicating a tracked location when you view the location tab of a dive, this means MacDive is showing you a potential location, and that the site itself has no location saved. In this case the Mac will show nothing, as the site has no location. At this point it's up to you to "apply" the coordinates to the site.

If you see the actual dive flag pin, then it means the site actually has a location saved to it already.
roger

Post by roger »

Sorry, took me a while to check into this. I only have one site with this behavior, it's called "Deep Fishbowl", off anacapa island, in California. 1 Dive there. Near another (shallower) site called "West of Fishbowl Point".

I created the site on the mac and synced it back to the phone, on the phone it has a location on the dive, but does not show up in the map.

Macdive 1.png is a screenshot from the mac. No Location info here.
http://imgur.com/OuxG7Da

Macdive 2.png is a screenshot from the phone, from the dive's site page. There is location data here.
http://imgur.com/7oZeV8A

Macdive 3.png and macdive 4.png are screenshots from the phone, from the app's site page, not the dives. The location "deep fishbowl" does not show up here.
http://imgur.com/8wUgqOi (there should be 2 sites north of the island, deep fishbowl and w of fishbowl point, deep fishbowl is missing)
http://imgur.com/ntLmefX

Hope this helps. I'll stick with entering sites on the phone. I used the laptop just because it has a real keyboard.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Right, so, see where it says "Tap to assign tracked location" on the iPhone.. ? Tap to assign it :)

That's what I was pointing out in the User Guide. Tracked locations are not automatically applied, you still need to confirm that it's correct (basically so it doesn't overwrite something it shouldn't... maybe it's too cautious).

Per my last post, if you see the red dot then it means it is a potential location - it hasn't been assigned, it's just offering a shortcut to actually apply it for you.

The reason it doesn't show up on the main sites screen is because it doesn't actually have a location. That display is filtered by sites that have actual coordinates set on them. So this will also display once you tap to assign it.
roger

Post by roger »

Ah. So you need to READ things. You should put that in the manual. ;-)

after doing that and doing a sync, it's all working everywhere.

thanks, sorry for the trouble....
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

No problem, glad it helped. The User Guide is definitely worth a read in this area!