MacDive conflicts with SuuntoDM4

Problems ? Get help here!
weppos
Dive Computer: Perdix, Petrel

MacDive conflicts with SuuntoDM4

Post by weppos »

I have been using MacDive for a few months in parallel with SuuntoDM4 to download the dives from my d9tx and I noticed there is an incompatibility between the two softwares.

With a fresh install, after you install the interface drivers (FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_18) everything works as expected and I am able to import the dives into MacDive.
However, as soon as I start SuuntoDM4 the software asks me to grant some kind of permissions to mono-sgen (see screenshot) and after I confirm (if I don't confirm I'm unable to start DM4) when I try to download the dives from MacDive, I receive a driver not found interface error (could not detect a serial port).

The only solution is to reinstall the drivers.

At the time being, I'm unable to use in parallel MacDive and SuuntoDM4 as I was doing before for my Mares Matrix.
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: MacDive conflicts with SuuntoDM4

Post by nick »

It is known that DM4 "hogs" the device. You should not need to reinstall the USB driver. Quitting and unplugging your device should be more than enough to let other applications talk to it. Worst case, a reboot. But you shouldn't need to reinstall it.

Unfortunately there's not much I can do about how DM4 works!
weppos

Post by weppos »

Unfortunately in my case it doesn't seem to be enough. I need to reinstall the driver, simply rebooting or quitting is not sufficient. It's like something get stuck or permissions are changed in a way MacDive cannot communicate to the device anymore. :cry:
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

Err, this really doesn't sound right. I highly doubt that DM4 is modifying a driver that is installed on your system each time you run it.

I've used DM4 myself and then used MacDive and never had any problems (so long as it wasn't running, of course). I will have another play around and see if I can replicate the behaviour you are experiencing, but it sounds really bad.
europaeer
Dive Computer: Shearwater

Post by europaeer »

I can confirm that both are working fine even when used one after the other with a Suunto gear.

Both apps should not run simultaneously and the Suunto should be unplugged after each use with one of the two apps.

With OS 10.9.4 it works fine like that.
weppos

Post by weppos »

Any of you ever experienced the mono-gen permission prompt?
dischiessel
Dive Computer: Mares Puck Air

Post by dischiessel »

I get the prompt every time I sync in DM4 but everything downloads properly in both MacDive and DM4.

And, for me, DM4 doesn't quit working. I can go back to MacDive and download dives without re-installing the driver.

A few months back I had this issue. Everytime I wanted to download from my Suunto D9tx, I would have to reinstall the driver to get it to work.
Not sure if a recent update (last 3 months) might have fixed that though.
europaeer
Dive Computer: Shearwater

Post by europaeer »

I can confirm the prompt each time launching DM4 and also a kind of frozen mouse pointer, but everything else is working fine.
RW.Galway
Dive Computer: Sunnto Vyper2

Post by RW.Galway »

I have always had a problem with both programs conflicting… In the end I just use MacDive :D

The mono permissions thingy, DM4 is built using a mono framework code and needs it to be able to run. On your initial install of DM4, you would have had to allow a mono framework to be installed also, the permissions box is a further part of that. i wouldn't worry about it.

The only way I could get MacDive to work after using DM4 was to uninstall DM4, reboot laptop and then MacDive worked perfectly.
As Nick says, DM4 "Hogs" the device.

Hope that helps somewhat…
weppos

Post by weppos »

RW.Galway wrote:The only way I could get MacDive to work after using DM4 was to uninstall DM4, reboot laptop and then MacDive worked perfectly.
As Nick says, DM4 "Hogs" the device.
This is definitely not an option. I need to use both apps at the same time. There are some features/dives that are not properly handled by MacDive and I'd like to preserve the original dump.