How to mass import non-computer dive log?

Problems ? Get help here!
bllbllrd
Dive Computer: Sherwood Wisdom

How to mass import non-computer dive log?

Post by bllbllrd »

I am new to Mac-Dive. It looks good and I was easily able to download my dives from a Sherwood Wisdom. That took care of the last 20 or so dives. But I'd like to consolidate all of my dive logs in Mac-Dive. I have a spreadsheet (*.numbers) with ~1500 dives. How can I import this? I tried saving it as a .csv with the fields in the same order as the Oceanic csv (no headers, just data). Nothing happened when I tried to import it as an Oceanic dive log. I REALLY don't want to have to manually add each dive. It's 35 years' worth! Thanks. Bill
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: How to mass import non-computer dive log?

Post by nick »

You would have to convert it to a format that MacDive can import.

The Oceanic files won't import without the right headers, and even then you need to be careful. Leaving out certain fields can cause crashes and odd behaviour, as it is expected that data will exist. The best bet is probably to create a UDCF file and import that.
bllbllrd

Post by bllbllrd »

Will look into UDCF. Not familiar with it. Thanks.
henrik
Dive Computer: Petrel + Predator

Post by henrik »

Wouldn't it be best to just tweak the CSV file? It's possibly just a couple of small things that's wrong with it. Maybe nick has a small example Oceanic CSV file?
bllbllrd

Post by bllbllrd »

That was my original thought. I modeled my csv after the Oceanic (I exported my computer-generated data from Mac-Dive as an Oceanic csv to get the field order. However, when I imported, nothing happened. No empty fields, no new records, nada. Frankly, surprised.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

Did you fill out every field from the file you modeled it after? There are things that are required and expected, as I was saying. The format is a little dodgy and has subtle differences between versions of Oceanlog, and the importer is quite particular about what it is looking for.

If you like, email me the file you were trying to import and I will take a look.
bllbllrd

Post by bllbllrd »

what extensions are allowed? the upload is not allowing .txt, .csv, .rtf, .numbers and none.
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

You can see a list here: Download -> File Formats