Tracked location workflow

Problems ? Get help here!
azchris11
Dive Computer: Teric

Tracked location workflow

Post by azchris11 »

So just to make sure I'm not missing an easier way of doing this, with the idea of doing as little editing/typing on iOS as possible.

1) Start Recording location on iOS MacDive
2) Go Diving
3) Finish Diving
4) End Recording Location on iOS MacDive
5) Upload dives on OSX MacDive (i don't have the DCbuddy so can't import directly to iOS)
6) Fill out dive info on OSX MacDive minus dive site info
7) Sync to iOS
8) Go to dive profile on MacDive iOS
9) MacDive iOS automatically assigns coordinates/site
10) Then tap on the tracked location to create/assign a site information
11) Resync back to OSX MacDive

Alternatively: (i wasn't sure if you can create a site, while still recording vs. waiting for it be finished)
1) Start Recording location on iOS MacDive
2) Go Diving
3) Finish Diving
4) End Recording location on iOS MacDive
5) Click on tracked location marker on the map
6) Create site information
7) Sync to OSX MacDive
8) Import Dives to OSX MacDive
9) Assign site created in iOS MacDive to dive imported in OSX MacDive

Is that general idea? Is there a more efficient workflow? Since it appears all of the GPS trails exist solely on the iOS client and don't transfer to OSX client? I don't suppose there is a way to import a .gpx file into the desktop client and do the same dark magic that the iOS does.

As always, thanks for the excellent product and support!
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Tracked location workflow

Post by nick »

You are correct that the location info currently only exists on iOS. My workflow for this would be:

1. Start recording location on iOS
2. Dive (this is the good bit)
3. Finish recording
4. Manually log a dive on iOS. Include the site however you want based on tracked info, fill out your notes, divemaster, etc. The key thing though, record the time to match your dive comp (closely enough)
5. Sync iOS to cloud
6. Sync macOS from cloud
7. Download from device

At this point, you will see the AutoMerge window which will merge the manual entries with the downloaded profiles. If you mess up steps 5/6/7 and manage to download the profiles first, you can use Tools > AutoMerge to run the process after the fact.

The User Guide has more on the merge:

http://mac-dive.com/help/mac_02_05_merging.php

This was designed for your workflow where you don't have a Bluetooth enabled device. It's not as slick as just logging on the phone directly, but it's reasonable.
weppos
Dive Computer: Perdix, Petrel

Re: Tracked location workflow

Post by weppos »

I generally download the dives directly on iOS (as the Perdix allows it via Bluetooth). However, every once in a while I also use a different flow:

1. Before diving, if I have time e.g. during briefing or mooring, I create a new dive site and click EDIT LOCATION to immediately store the location based on the current GPS coordinates
2. Save the site, sync to iCloud
3. Later, when I download the dive, I assign the site I just created