Lost data from 50+ dives from sync

Problems ? Get help here!
azjohnnyo
Dive Computer: Shearwater Perdix AI

Lost data from 50+ dives from sync

Post by azjohnnyo »

Well the wife is pretty annoyed. She created around 50 dives on the MAC OS version and then filled in data from logbook then batch renumbered. All seemed to be good and then when we went in and tried to sync all the new data with her iPhone, all of the data (several hours worth) disappeared. Is there any possibility of recovering the data without filling it all out again? I’m guessing that need to backup and then try to sync? Should I basically delete the data on the iPhone and when everything is done on MAC OS, turn sync on so It all goes from MAC to IOS? Don’t know why it synced from older data on the iPhone??
AZJohnnyO
"What if the Hokey Pokey "is" what it's all about?"
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Re: Lost data from 50+ dives from sync

Post by nick »

Hi,

If you still have the dives on macOS, then just reset your data:

http://mac-dive.com/help/mac_04_02_reset.php

Everything should get merged together. The sync doesn't delete anything unless you explicitly delete something yourself, in which case it will sync that change.
azjohnnyo

Post by azjohnnyo »

I'm guessing what happened was the iPhone synced to the mac before the mac synced and caused it to revert back before the 62 dives were added. The iPhone had the previous state minus 62 dives. I should have deleted the app or disabled sync on the phone *and* backed up the data before syncing from mac to clean iPhone app. It looks like we have to redo the 62 dives. :?

Heading to the Maldives in 7 weeks and she wants all her data updated and good plus trying to get in some local dives so she can hit 600 in the Maldives!

Thanks for your help.
AZJohnnyO
nick
Site Admin
Dive Computer: Shearwater Teric

Post by nick »

As far as syncing goes it's irrelevant what syncs first, really. It doesn't replace your entire database state, it's more like "merging" (note, I am massively over-simplifying this to make my point). So you can create multiple dives on multiple devices and it will merge together.

I can't really explain what's happened here, as it's a complex process and without copies of your data, the logs, etc, it's impossible to tell. My best advice would be to take regular backups of your data just in case - the sync is also not a backup, just a method of communication.

Sorry for the inconvenience, hopefully you can add the dives again?
azjohnnyo

Post by azjohnnyo »

Yeah, just time consuming. She has all the paper logs and the 62 dives are from earlier in her dive career before a downloadable computer. I guess 62 dives is a small price to pay for a reminder about backups!!!
AZJohnnyO